59 neck in reverse polarity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 neck in reverse polarity?

My fender FMT HH tele came with a set of seymour duncan pickups, a pearly gates 'plus' and a 59neck in RP(reverse polarity) I didn't know it was possible to have a humbucker in reverse polarity. It is so when both humbuckers are split it will be noise cancelling. I never played attention but I thought humbuckers did this anyways. I may be wrong, that's why I'm asking if it is something special for the pickup to be RP or was it made this way for this fender model which is set up for coil splitting both pickups?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Stud coil of bridge with screw coil of neck, (or vice-versa), will be hum-cancelling. But a lot of people like inside coils split. That's where the RP neck comes into play. I actually think it would be cool if all humbucker sets came that way.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      Stud coil of bridge with screw coil of neck, (or vice-versa), will be hum-cancelling. But a lot of people like inside coils split. That's where the RP neck comes into play. I actually think it would be cool if all humbucker sets came that way.
      Indeed, that's a sound I really like.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For the OP - it doesn't need to be a true reverse wind, of course. Simply flipping one magnet is enough.

Inside coils makes the best slutbucker. It's what made me love the PRS 5-way instantly, back in the 80s.

I agree with Artie, it would be nice if that were standard.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Yes, it's true... I spent the last 2 days soldering and de-soldering various pots using the SD wiring. The standard coil split SD wiring will put the FMT HH out of phase, I tried three times...
          Luckily I wrote down the old wiring, and the pairs to send to the push pull I were Red/Green and Black/White and the middle switch Black and Red.

And the reason I messed with it, the push pull pot on a Korean 2003 has a tiny shaft, with a sleeve I can't find, so I was forced to change it, no nob would fit.

So this must happen to others and if you use the SD wiring for a 3 way HH, you'll be tinny, out of phase and frustrated.
          I've sent a message to the techs.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure I follow exactly what you're saying, but there is no standardized pickup colors, wind direction, or magnet orientation. So Duncan wiring diagrams are only relevant to Duncan pickups. Many other pickups use the same color code. But they don't necessarily follow the same wind direction or magnet orientation. Fender pickups are known to be reverse polarity from Duncans, so one, or the other, must flip the wires to be in-phase.

Comment

Working...
            X