banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help with a Series/Parallel/split mini toggle HB + 5 way super switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with a Series/Parallel/split mini toggle HB + 5 way super switch

Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you might be able to help me out with what I think is probably a complicated wiring scheme.

I have a Chapman Baritone with 2 humbuckers, 1 Vol, 1 Tone, and a 5 way super switch. The switch is wired to give me -
    -B HB
    -B Split + N HB
    -B HB + N HB
    -B HB + N Split
    -N HB

I really like the tones this gives me, but I would like to add the option to have split & parallel tones for the B & N by themselves.

I was hoping this could be achieved by getting rid of the tone control, and replacing it with a mini 3 way toggle switch, so I could use this as a master series/parallel/split switch for both pickups.

Is this possible, or could any one suggest any kind of wiring diagram that might give me something similar? Would be super grateful for any help. I can solder up fine, but working out these schematics is beyond me!

Cheers guys ✌️

I would think it would have to be a super non-standard switch to affect both pickups at once.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think you could do it, as split coils only requires one side of a mini-toggle for each pickup. You'd likely have to pull the series link off the 5-way, put it on the mini-toggle instead, with a jumper back to the lug it was on for the 5-way so the 5-way split continues to work, and overrides the mini-toggle.

Comment

Originally posted by Backbeatdeano View Post
        I would like to add the option to have split & parallel tones for the B & N by themselves.

I was hoping this could be achieved by getting rid of the tone control, and replacing it with a mini 3 way toggle switch, so I could use this as a master series/parallel/split switch for both pickups.
        No, a single 3 way toggle has an insufficient # of poles to give you all the options you mentioned.

The best match for ALL you want (which is a lot) is a 3 way, on-on-on switch PER humbucker. So 2 switches total. Each 3 way in-on-on switch can change a single humbucker from series mode, single coil mode, and parallel mode. See attached wiring diagram for how a single humbucker is wired to 1 of these 3 way switches. The wiring color code in the attached diagram are Seymour Duncan wiring colors.

Your 5 way switch would not work as-is in this scheme, and should just be replaced by a 3 way blade switch in this scenario.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-18-2021, 08:50 PM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

No, a single 3 way toggle has an insufficient # of poles to give you all the options you mentioned.

The best match for ALL you want (which is a lot) is a 3 way, on-on-on switch PER humbucker. So 2 switches total. Each 3 way in-on-on switch can change a single humbucker from series mode, single coil mode, and parallel mode. See attached wiring diagram for how a single humbucker is wired to 1 of these 3 way switches. The wiring color code in the attached diagram are Seymour Duncan wiring colors.

Your 5 way switch would not work as-is in this scheme, and should just be replaced by a 3 way blade switch in this scenario.

Thanks for the replies guys! I thought this may be the case Jack. It would definitely be a lot more simple if it was wired that way. Need to figure out if I’m willing to drill holes in my guitar for this!

Do you think it would be possible with 1 mini toggle and the 5 way super switch if I just had the series/parallel/split for the bridge HB, and kept the 5 way wiring as is for the neck?

Comment

I use superswitches in most guitars. Before I decide what i really need I wire it temporary to figure out what are sounds I like.
            This started when i did one really fancy wiring with bells and whistles (in words with ooP and single coils) I never used on stage. The other bad thing was I never was really confident on how to change from one distinct sound to another. So i came to the point that 5 usefull sounds with a super switch are enough for me.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
              I use superswitches in most guitars. Before I decide what i really need I wire it temporary to figure out what are sounds I like.
              This started when i did one really fancy wiring with bells and whistles (in words with ooP and single coils) I never used on stage. The other bad thing was I never was really confident on how to change from one distinct sound to another. So i came to the point that 5 usefull sounds with a super switch are enough for me.
              I fell ya hammerfan! i'll be pretty much exclusively using this ax in the studio though so the options are welcome. I actually think 2 toggles and a 3 way would be easier to dial in than a 5 way too.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! I thought this may be the case Jack. It would definitely be a lot more simple if it was wired that way. Need to figure out if I’m willing to drill holes in my guitar for this!

Do you think it would be possible with 1 mini toggle and the 5 way super switch if I just had the series/parallel/split for the bridge HB, and kept the 5 way wiring as is for the neck?
                Need you to check and tell us if your mini 3 way toggle is a on-on-on or an on-off-on type.

If the wiring of the 5 way superswitch remains unaltered, the positions of it that involve the Bridge pickup will be affected depending on how you have the mini-toggle set.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Need you to check and tell us if your mini 3 way toggle is a on-on-on or an on-off-on type.

If the wiring of the 5 way superswitch remains unaltered, the positions of it that involve the Bridge pickup will be affected depending on how you have the mini-toggle set.
                  Hey Jack, I haven't got the switch yet, but i think an on-on-on would be the best, right?

Comment

Hey Jack, I haven't got the switch yet, but i think an on-on-on would be the best, right?
                    Correct.

Then yes, with a on-on-on, you could use it to get parallel/split/series out of the bridge humbucker... but with that caveat I mentioned about the 5 way superswitch.

Comment

Working...
                    X