banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get some JM tones with some Phat Cat P90's with a ash Tele ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get some JM tones with some Phat Cat P90's with a ash Tele ?

Got a chance to jump into a JM cover band and the closest axe i can get to work with it will be my custom built ash tele but it has two hums in it .
    If I put some Phat Cat P90's in it and dialed it in some do you think I can get close enough to pull it off ?
    I know John mainly uses SC pickups but he is also known to use a Gibson Hollow body with hums and a Tele from time to time.
    If I can get close to this I'm good , not wanting to buy another guitar at this moment .

https://youtu.be/ktyhXq00RxQ
    Last edited by JB6464; 04-19-2021, 10:31 AM.

he is known for his strat tone but you can make anything work with the right amp

Comment

Ahh, I thought it was John McLaughlin...
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        he is known for his strat tone but you can make anything work with the right amp
        Correct , I don't have a Strat right now just a few custom made Tele Deluxe guitars and LP's .
        I was thinking maybe I can pull off some of his neck position strat tones with the P90 closer than a low out put humbucker which is not close enough imo .
        Can a Phat Cat P90 even get close to a Strat SC tone ?
        Last edited by JB6464; 04-19-2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

not really. you could get closer if you mag swapped but a p90/phat cat is always gonna be beefier than jms super scooped strat tone.

you could get a rod magnet bucker size p90 made and that could get pretty close

Comment

I think you could get JM tones with P90s, and probably pretty close with your humbuckers too to be honest. JM's main tones aren't just straight singles into the amp - he uses various drives and preamps to add output and juice. If you just work your guitar volume knob to be a hot dirty blues tone at 10 and a clean at 6-8, and EQ your amp to boost the mids and reduce the mids, you'll get real close.

For me, especially since this is a band and not a studio re-creation project, I'd be thinking more of "juicy blues tone" than "John Mayer's specific Strat tones". It's at least worth a few tries at practice before ripping your guitar up.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

My other idea was a SC in a humbucker slot that SD sells from their CS .
              Outside looks like a Phat Cat but it has the staggered SC poles and is truly a SC underneath .
              Downside it's not cheap .

Comment

Working...
              X