banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

True humbucking P-90's..... How many are there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True humbucking P-90's..... How many are there?

Okay - I know Seymour offers a stacked P-90. Lindy Fralin makes a couple silent P-90's. Even Gibson makes the P-100. Trev Wilkinson makes a stacked P-90. Fishman Fluence just recently offered their quiet P-90's in Greg Koch's signature Tele - the Gristle 90.

Who else am I forgetting? Don't even try to list humbucker sized units like the P-Rails, DiMarzio's Super D P90, or stuff like that. True P-90 size and shape, please.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

How about Kinman and MojoTone...?

Comment

I'd love to look at Kinman's website, but it is EFFED UP. MojoTone's offering sound great!
      Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-21-2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

This is one of those things that never convinced me. No one has cracked that one yet, that I've heard. In every case, they don't sound or feel as good as the regular P-90. Maybe there is one that is really great that I haven't tried, I'd certainly give it a shot.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Fishman Fluence P-90's in Greg Koch's new Gristle Tele sound like THE ****. And dead silent when not playing. Caveat - battery powered, which some folks like me do not dig.

I ask because 60 cycle hum is so 20th Century.

Comment

There was also a Lace model with "sidewinder" coils, if memory serves me...

...or the Ilitch air coil...

...albeit IME,a P90 requires an Ilitch air coil with more turns than for Fender PUs, and these added turns affect the tone more than a properly tuned noiseless model.

I say "properly tuned" because there's room for improvement with noiseless P90's already available on the market IME.

They just need to be treated for what they are and "adjusted to taste" with some mods taming the "quirkinesses" of coils coupling

EDIT: Lace doesn't list their PS905 no more but some shops still have it apparently. its specs and "guts" are shown there, in the "description" folder: https://flemingmusic.com.au/index.ph...product_id=237
            Last edited by freefrog; 04-22-2021, 12:42 AM.
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Manlius Quiet Goat. I'm not sure if he still makes/sells them or not.

Comment

I knew about the Lace P-90, and called out there once - no one answered the phone. I'm not hip to Manlius stuff yet.... Time to study up.

Comment

I would add Kent Armstrong's HP90 to the list. I have a set of these in a Hagstrom.
                  Definitely good noise rejection and genuinely P90-ish in character, though not high output. (Neither are the best P90s IMO).
                  Perhaps a hair more polite than a vintage Gibson one, but so are most modern P90s.

HP90s are quite reasonably priced - about $125 a pair new on eBay. Used set on Reverb right now for $75..
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                  X