H-S-H Wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-S-H Wiring help

Need help on a wiring mod ive been stuck on. im trying to get my h-s-h wired in this manner

1.Bridge Hum
    2.Middle Single Coil
    3.Neck and Bridge Hum
    4. Neck and Bridge Outer coil split (Like David Gilmours Strat)
    5. Neck Hum.

How would i go about this with a 5 way super switch like this?

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: I forgot to mention this is being on a steve morse y2d ernie ball music man if that helps out

You can probably find something here - https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
      You can probably find something here - https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/
      I've pretty much looked everywhere and I can't seem to find this particular wiring schematic on the web unless I'm missing something

Comment

Your position 4 is probably going to take some custom wiring, you should be able to do it with that swtich, but I'm at work right now and can't really take the time to figure it out. First question is are those in series or parallel? Sorry, I'm not an expert on DG's strat.

Comment

Your position 4 is probably going to take some custom wiring, you should be able to do it with that swtich, but I'm at work right now and can't really take the time to figure it out. First question is are those in series or parallel? Sorry, I'm not an expert on DG's strat.
          I have this as a reference https://www.stratcat.biz/black_strat_project.shtml

I'm just getting rid of the mini toggle he has and using the 5 way super switch in its place to do it to my steve morse y2d music man

I believe it's in series tho I'm not quite sure

Comment

I think he would just need to connect the middle pickup where one of the split coils (bridge for example) would be and skip the one from the other pickup just for that position 2.
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post

I think he would just need to connect the middle pickup where one of the split coils (bridge for example) would be and skip the one from the other pickup just for that position 2.
              I would need someone to draw it out though so I can visualize it better

Comment

Originally posted by x7hech13fx View Post
                I would need someone to draw it out though so I can visualize it better
                This is actually pretty simple, but I'm working on some family business on my non-graphics computer right now. If no one else gets to this, I'll draw it up later this evening or tomorrow.

Comment

Did this quik-'n-dirty on my laptop just to give you an idea how I'd do this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5-way_superswitch.png
Views:	179
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	6075767

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Did this quik-'n-dirty on my laptop just to give you an idea how I'd do this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5-way_superswitch.png
Views:	179
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	6075767
                    Oh wow that was almost close to what I had last night with my alligator clips i just couldn't get the 3 and 4 to work right I'll try this when I get home from work

Comment

If you want #4 to be hum-cancelling, wouldn't a magnet need to be flipped?
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Inner coils parallel usually sounds more Stratlike than outer coils.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                          Inner coils parallel usually sounds more Stratlike than outer coils.
                          So with the diagram that artie posted I wouldn't have an issue with any hum?

Comment

A magnet would have to be flipped to have either inner or outer coils in parallel, in phase, and hum-cancelling.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              A magnet would have to be flipped to have either inner or outer coils in parallel, in phase, and hum-cancelling.
                              Exactly. That's why I did that real quick. However, even easier than a mag flip, on the far left lugs, don't connect the top left lug to "output". Instead, simply connect it to ground. That will give you bridge stud with neck screw. That will be hum cancelling, and probably sound better too. Tomorrow, I'll post the modification, but it's pretty simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X