Alnico 8 in Burstbucker 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alnico 8 in Burstbucker 3?

I got a new Les Paul that came stock with a Burstbucker 3 in the bridge. I like it a lot more than I expected, but with high gain it’s a bit soft in the lows and it’s lower output than all my other humbuckers, making some adjustments necessary when I switch guitars.

On paper, it seems like an A8 would solve these problems, but I did a search and couldn’t find much about A8s in Burstbuckers. Anyone out there have any firsthand experience?

I've never heard of anyone trying, so I would be curious to know, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I might be tempted to try A5 first myself; make it a Burstbucker Pro.

I too prefer not needing to tweak my rig when switching guitars.

How hot are the other pickups you're looking to match with, levelwise?
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Other pickups in the stable right now:
        Tone Zone
        PATB-1
        Custom 8
        A JB-FullShred hybrid I made

I’m sure all these will still be higher output than the A8 Burstbucker 3, but anything that narrows the gap would be an improvement.

Comment

cant hurt to try it, may sound good or may be a little harsh, but its reversible

Comment

Yeah, harshness was my biggest concern. It’s already a bit brighter than I’m used to, since I don’t normally play vintage output pickups, and conventional wisdom says A8 should be brighter/harsher A2. I know it’s not a big investment, but I’d have to order the magnet and take off the cover and blah blah blah. I was hoping someone might be able to say whether it’d be worth the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
              Yeah, harshness was my biggest concern. It’s already a bit brighter than I’m used to, since I don’t normally play vintage output pickups, and conventional wisdom says A8 should be brighter/harsher A2. I know it’s not a big investment, but I’d have to order the magnet and take off the cover and blah blah blah. I was hoping someone might be able to say whether it’d be worth the hassle.
              Maybe you could try an A6; it's louder than A5 yet not as harsh as A8, with fat low mids and big tight lows.
              A8 has a reputation for clanky highs; I think you're right that a BB likely would accentuate that.
              I've thought for some time about trying A6 myself in a Burstbucker 2 that was way too shrill at the bridge.
              Haven't done it myself yet though, so I'm not speaking from firsthand experience here.

The other thing about A8 that it has a fairly stiff feel - not very different from ceramic in that aspect. I think that's due to its field strength.
              But the one person I've heard describe an actual A6 swap said it had a nice bouncy feel.
              IMO for a few dollars it'd be worth ordering one to try.

I also think you're right that no mere mag swap could bring a PAF up to the output of a ToneZone or a JB.
              Ceramic might get you close but it'd have some ferocious treble.

I have an old Duncan SH-7 Seymourizer (12.5K wind with a double thick ceramic). Hot & thick but also super bright and rather stiff.
              Same pickup is now offered as the Distortion neck, but it was originally intended as a bridge pickup.

PS: You know, the standard (ceramic) SH-5 Custom kicks serious butt in Les Pauls. Just saying.
              In case you decide you want something that's really more on a par with the rest of your bridges level-wise.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I've tried an A8 and really like it. I don't think it is overly bright but if that is a concern then you might want to try the A6 as suggested previously. A ceramic mag would be a BIG mistake imo.

You might even consider a different pup altogether. A Screamin Demon (unlike its unfortunate name suggests) is a really tonally balanced bucker (no shrill high end) with a slightly stronger output than the BB, but still with a PAF-ish tone and feel. I've even tried it with an A8 and love it in the bridge, and an A2 and love that in the neck.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

8.4 k ohms, right? A thick A8 in there will pretty much make a 5% overwound Ibanez Super 70

Those are pretty good at high gain. No anemic low end.
                  Last edited by Adieu; 05-07-2021, 09:34 AM.
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

yeah! this is turning into a van halen thread!!!!

A6 was mentioned already. i am doing the the clint55 and suggest a double thick A5

Comment

I used BB3s for a while. An A5 made it harsh and A8 made it unusable for anything to my ear. Your mileage will likely vary...

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                        yeah! this is turning into a van halen thread!!!!

A6 was mentioned already. i am doing the the clint55 and suggest a double thick A5
                        I know I’ve seen his recommendations for double thick magnets, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a description of how they compare to their regular thickness counterparts. I’d imagine they’re higher in output, but are there EQ differences too?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          I've tried an A8 and really like it. I don't think it is overly bright but if that is a concern then you might want to try the A6 as suggested previously. A ceramic mag would be a BIG mistake imo.

You might even consider a different pup altogether. A Screamin Demon (unlike its unfortunate name suggests) is a really tonally balanced bucker (no shrill high end) with a slightly stronger output than the BB, but still with a PAF-ish tone and feel. I've even tried it with an A8 and love it in the bridge, and an A2 and love that in the neck.
                          Good suggestion. The Demon is a misunderstood gem IMO. As you said, I think that's mostly due to the name.
                          I agree: PAF-ish tone profile with a little extra push. Most importantly for the OP, it stays pretty punchy with gain.
                          However, I wouldn't expect it to match the ToneZone or Custom 8 in terms of output.
                          Likely still to require tweaking the rig when switching guitars.

Since IMO a mag swap isn't the right answer for the OP in terms of output, a couple other possibilities:

Rebel Yell from BareKnuckle. Bright like a PAF yet this one handles gain like a champ. Cops vintagey tones and can also chunk.
                          Right on the line between vintage and modern tone & feel. Keeps its attack when driven. Excellent string-to-string definition too.
                          Articulate and quite responsive - sparkles when rolled back & treated gently, but open it up & hit harder and it gets fierce.
                          Somewhat hotter than the Demon, not as huge as a TZ. More of a sword than a club, but should do great in a Les Paul.

Holy Diver is another BKP option. Sorry to be taking us farther into VH territory but it's a great pickup.
                          Not entirely unlike a JB: it cuts well and sings similarly, just with better balance. A bit less of that nasal presence.
                          Also offers better cleanup. And while there's a nice springiness to its feel, the lows don't go all spongy under gain.
                          This one could hold its own next to the OP's other bridge humbuckers in terms of output.

Finally, an idea out of left field - Railhammers. Definitely not a traditional look where cosmetics matter.
                          Still, their unique design is meant to keep the low strings tight while the higher ones stay more open. And it works.
                          The Chisel bridge is big, bright, tight and in-your-face. The Alnico Grande is rich, fat, and bouncier but not flabby.
                          I have both of these and like them. Worth considering IMO - as long as unconventional looks aren't a deal breaker.

Comment

Working...
                          X