Anyone have any details on this JB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    Not sure the sticker is actually scratched out - I think that's Seymour's signature.

It is kinda odd that prototype is separated into two words though.

Personally I love JBs for their lead tone.But I've never been able to get them to clean up well enough to suit me.
    FWIW my old "The JB Model" does clean up. That's what I immediately noticed and impressed me; which is where I formed my opinion that older ones were somehow 'different' from current production.

Comment

Yes, the scribling on the serial number is Seymours signature. Its a recent one, which are barely legible, short before MJ took over.

The serial does not follow the normal CS sequences, which show the year and week in the first 4 digits like 9405 for the 5th week in 1994. It says 7770 as maybe a projekt number or something similar.
      Last edited by hamerfan; 05-04-2021, 01:28 AM.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I do remember reading somewhere that an A2 JB was Seymour's favorite pickup, but don't remember where I read that so I can't vouch for it.

Comment

EDIT: Just found this post from Evan in 2004...

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
          Re: Jb Prototype?

31 years ago, when Seymour was working with Jeff Beck to develop the pickups that eventually became the JB and the Jazz Model, he went through several prototypes that, while good-sounding pickups, didn't make the cut in the end. This is one of those designs.

It's only available in Japan where it's part of a limited edition run of 777 pieces.

PREVIOUS:

Our old friend DarthPhineas was convinced that the OP's pickup was a Japan-only offering and I recall something similar.

You can see another example of this pickup with the same "PROTO TYPE" label in the thread I linked to earlier:

Here's a link to another one straight out of Japan on eBay: LINK

Last edited by Masta' C; 05-04-2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

FWIW my old "The JB Model" does clean up. That's what I immediately noticed and impressed me; which is where I formed my opinion that older ones were somehow 'different' from current production.
            Perhaps A5 is just too powerful to clean up well in a wind this robust and A2 is the secret to better cleanup.
            Or it might be something as simple as old ones having been wound on the Leesona.
            It could also be that in this particular wind rough mags (or even the old smooth black ones) make more difference than one might expect.
            Magnet/coil interactions aren't always 100% predictable; and sometimes the results haven't behaved as anticipated.

As with anything else tone-related, certain generalities apply but once the amp is cooking surprises can show up.

I removed my JBs fairly quickly after tryouts; they were a bit too hot compared to my other guitars. But I've read up some on JB swaps.
            Of course the discussions are mostly about overall sound or loose lows; for many players cleanup isn't a priority.
            Maybe I'll give A2 a try in one someday.

Interestingly, my older JBJ seems to be wound a tad lighter than the more recent ones: 15.7K vs 16.4K & 16.5K for two later versions.
            It could just be variance in batches of wire, of course.
            Yet I suspect the formula may have been tweaked a little at some point.

Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 05-04-2021, 01:55 PM.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

That also explains the 777 number on the sticker. Very serendipitous to get a rare pickup unexpectedly like that.

Congrats on the Burny. 80s ones are hard to date but they're extremely well-made.
              Here's mine, 8.38lbs, all mahogany - no maple cap. Like yours, this one has had a refret.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                That also explains the 777 number on the sticker. Very serendipitous to get a rare pickup unexpectedly like that.

Congrats on the Burny. 80s ones are hard to date but they're extremely well-made.
                Here's mine, 8.38lbs, all mahogany - no maple cap. Like yours, this one has had a refret.

I'm very happy with this one. Does yours have an ebony board? That's the only quibble I have with this one but it's a nice dark slab of rosewood in person so not complaining too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Borntohang View Post

I'm very happy with this one. Does yours have an ebony board? That's the only quibble I have with this one but it's a nice dark slab of rosewood in person so not complaining too hard.

Mine's rosewood too, might be a hair darker than yours. From a couple of feet away it really looks like ebony.
                  I actually prefer the feel of rosewood myself; it has nicer texture. Ebony feels smoother/harder and sounds brighter.
                  The guitar has great sustain and a really nice lively feel - it really vibrates when I play and sings at volume.

Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 05-05-2021, 12:47 AM.

Comment

For those following along at home, see below reply from the Customer Service email:

"​​Thanks for reaching out. This appears to be a JB prototype, that was one of 777 made for ESP as a special edition, made somewhere between 10-15 years ago.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to exact specs for OEM pickups, however, it should be nearly identical to the current JB specs."

So nothing that hadn't come up in the thread already but it's nice to have confirmation. I don't have any of the paperwork so it's not worth what it could be but will be hanging onto it for a while anyway. Sounds great for driven tones so it's filling a niche I don't otherwise have in my stable of P90 and single coil guitars.

Comment

Working...
                    X