banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this a real Seymour Duncan?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hey all,

    I have a pair of these P/Us in a guitar I picked up this weekend. Black back plate with small logo but no stickers...7.5k and 7.2k respectively and both neck models. Think they are real deal?

    Thanks!

    Comment


    • The bobbin logo is the old one and it’s too small. Plates could be real (hard for me to tell) but the pickups looks fishy to me, unless someone knows of an OEM model that had a small, older bobbin logo like that. I’ve only seen the Duncan Designed logo that small, or on a rail bobbin.

      Comment


      • What was the guitar? I was wondering if it is supposed to come with OEM Duncans. I've never seen OEMs with a small logo like that, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.
        Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

        Comment


        • If they don't have labels how do you know they are both neck models? What models are they supposed to be?

          Comment


          • Thanks for the replies. I have been searching images for a few days now and have yet to find a small logo example like mine...knock off or genuine article.

            As to the guitar, they came out of an 80s Washburn HB35 and they weren't OEM to that model based the brochure I've found on it.

            As far as the neck model question, I'm making that judgement based on the zebra lay out and screw/slug orientation (Screws on cream, logo on black for both). Not sure on the model, looking at the online resources they are 4 wire and vintage output/sound, so thinking APH-1, SHPG-1, or SH-2.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by jlf611 View Post
              Hey all,

              I have a pair of these P/Us in a guitar I picked up this weekend. Black back plate with small logo but no stickers...7.5k and 7.2k respectively and both neck models. Think they are real deal?

              Thanks!
              That's most definitely an OEM pickup. Owner probably removed the labels to try and hide the fact they are both neck models (not that it matters much...many guitars use the same pickup in both positions). But definitely look legit to me

              Comment


              • Hello everyone! I'm new here. I'm about to buy these 3 used pickups and i'm getting a little paranoid about their authenticity.

                I'm pretty sure that the white tb4 is okay, but i'm not so sure about the other two, mainly because the price is kinda low compared to what other sellers are asking.

                Can someone with more experience help me out?

                The pics are here: https://ibb.co/m4gBMRb

                Thanks a lot!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by alessandro95 View Post
                  Hello everyone! I'm new here. I'm about to buy these 3 used pickups and i'm getting a little paranoid about their authenticity.

                  I'm pretty sure that the white tb4 is okay, but i'm not so sure about the other two, mainly because the price is kinda low compared to what other sellers are asking.

                  Can someone with more experience help me out?

                  The pics are here: https://ibb.co/m4gBMRb

                  Thanks a lot!
                  I'm not familiar with those 'SN0' stickers (maybe serial numbers?) but they look legit otherwise.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

                  Comment


                  • I'm leaning toward authentic on each of those. The "5NO"/"SNO" (serial number?) decal is interesting, as dystrust said. Haven't come across that yet.

                    Comment


                    • What do you guys think?

                      https://gsfanatic.com/hu/hirdetes/58...ncan-hangszedo

                      The shiny bobbins and chorome slugs/screws throw me off... Could this have been an OEM?

                      EDIT: Looks like it being an OEM is a very real possibility:

                      https://fgnguitars.com/eg/odyssey/jos2fmm/
                      nexion218
                      Ultimate Tone Slacker
                      Last edited by nexion218; 06-23-2022, 05:04 AM.

                      Comment


                      • Can you get a pic of the underside to see how it's labelled?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by playas View Post
                          Can you get a pic of the underside to see how it's labelled?
                          Ther's one in the ad! It says 34557 20191021 PEGASUS-TREM

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

                            Ther's one in the ad! It says 34557 20191021 PEGASUS-TREM

                            Sorry I just saw it was black and assumed it was another shot of the top without expanding it.

                            I've never seen a black baseplate on a Duncan before. Other than that it looks like it could be correct, but I'd definitely want to confirm if that is right.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by playas View Post


                              Sorry I just saw it was black and assumed it was another shot of the top without expanding it.

                              I've never seen a black baseplate on a Duncan before. Other than that it looks like it could be correct, but I'd definitely want to confirm if that is right.
                              I believe the newer (Nazvul, Sentient etc) have black baseplates... Its prolly legit, the guy selling it is a locally known pro and he did a bunch of videos testing the FGN stuff I linked (thats what made think of the OEM possibility), but as I dont know him personally Id rather be safe than sorry. Never seen any of those modern stuff in anything else than black matte.

                              Comment


                              • In that case I'd expect they're legitimate.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X