Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The amount of counterfeit stuff coming out out China is crazy even compared to 5 or 10 years ago. I think it's largely due to the masses discovering AliExpress and dhgate.

Comment

• These were in a 2010 Gibson SG I bought a few years ago. It's 4 - conductor wire and they've painted over the white "Seymour Duncan" on the front which I can see faintly. they seem solid and never sounded bad. the "NSN Neck" throws me because I can't figure out what model that would be, or is it a typo? . "SNS Bridge" could very well be "Saturday Night Special" . . .counterfeit of real Duncan? thank you! this is my first post and apologies if did anything wrong in posting.

Comment

• Looks authentic from what I can see. Very likely just a typo.

Comment

• Thank you!

Comment

• Good evening, everyone!
            I've been given an Ibanez guitar, and I am it's third owner. The second owner got it from a friend of ours about 4~5 years ago when he was moving out of the country, but never used because he's not a fan of strats/superstrats. He let the guitar sit in its case until last week, when he gifted it to me (I've started learning about guitar making/maintenance during the pandemic and already got a few old guitars back to good shape for some friends) because "I know you love this kind of guitar, you got the skills to make it rock again and you're gonna enjoy it much more than I would".
            The Ibanez had two "Seymour Duncan" pickups installed, bridge (humbucker marked as SH4 0105 reading 16.4 ohms) and neck (single coil, marked as SSL52-1 RW/RP reading 6.4ohms). The readings may not be 100% accurate because I haven't desoldered them from the pots and switch yet.

I know they are not the guitar's original pups, and wanted to know if they're the real deal or not
            Click image for larger version

Name:	7dfcd23c-f2d8-4f4a-bd81-0c8cfffd6b8b.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	6169413 Click image for larger version

Name:	8a728e8c-6d1b-4c27-9b92-73dd337e2929.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	6169414 Click image for larger version

Name:	79efc0ba-3012-4336-969c-173432a1cc20.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	6169415 Click image for larger version

Name:	989b1190-8951-4d87-b80a-579fef4d1479.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	6169416 Click image for larger version

Name:	778715eb-1c2a-45ad-952f-e39f7d907101.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	6169417 Click image for larger version

Name:	be0c1fbc-62c1-4b41-b219-6d0092d8fc91.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	6169418 . Click image for larger version

Name:	d5b22e6d-1c05-476c-acb0-f08541448d64.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	6169411

Thanks in advance!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Look legit to me. Older. The RWRP 5-2 is usually a middle pickup, but I believe 5-2s are all the same output anyway. Someone else will have to check me, if they see something wrong I missed.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                Look legit to me. Older. The RWRP 5-2 is usually a middle pickup, but I believe 5-2s are all the same output anyway. Someone else will have to check me, if they see something wrong I missed.
                Thank you, Beau! From what I've read on SD's website, the RwRP means "reverse wind/reverse polarity", and is intended as a middle position pup for hum-cancelling. Of course that wouldn't matter if the pup in question was a fake
                Thanks again for your help!

Comment

• When did Seymour Duncan start importing in bulk from Korea?? https://reverb.com/item/35461961-sey...dwide-fast-s-h
                  “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

• Originally posted by dotsdad View Post
                    When did Seymour Duncan start importing in bulk from Korea?? https://reverb.com/item/35461961-sey...dwide-fast-s-h
                    I wouldn't trust that listing.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Originally posted by dotsdad View Post
                      When did Seymour Duncan start importing in bulk from Korea?? https://reverb.com/item/35461961-sey...dwide-fast-s-h
                      Probably the same time they started putting black tape on the SSL bobbins - never.

Comment

• I pulled the trigger on what is purported to be a set of duncans. The SH-5 looks kinda sketchy to me, though these are my first 7 string Duncans. However, Duncan doesn't list a 7 string option for the APH-1. Is this a custom shop, or a fraud?

Comment

• ^From the stickers they look real. Yours are made in 2019 in April. Probably surplus from guitar plant that make 7 string guitars coming with Seymour Duncans.

Comment

• The only thing that looks possibly funny to me are the rounded tabs and baseplates. The Duncan baseplate stamp looks a little large for recent pickups. However, I don't have 7-string Duncans to compare, so that all could be perfectly normal for 7-string Duncans. The logos on the bobbins look right for recent production. They were made a few days apart on the same baseplates, so they could be an OEM set, pulled from a guitar. (Don't know - what 7-stringers come with Custom / APH1N?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaptinkangaru View Post
                              I pulled the trigger on what is purported to be a set of duncans. The SH-5 looks kinda sketchy to me, though these are my first 7 string Duncans. However, Duncan doesn't list a 7 string option for the APH-1. Is this a custom shop, or a fraud?
                              Those are legit. Probably an OEM set from a Dean ML 7-string

Comment

• Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Those are legit. Probably an OEM set from a Dean ML 7-string
                                Thanks so much, mystery solved!

Comment

Working...
                                X