This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a real Seymour Duncan?

Let's keep this thread as the be-all-end all of knowledge about legit SD pickups. While the best possible thing is to buy an authorized dealer, lots of independent sellers sell Duncans too, new and used.
    Wanna buy something new or used and it looks fishy? Post it here. We'll discuss it. There are some seriously knowledgeable people here that know what a Seymour Duncan pickup should look like.
    Obviously, when buying from an unknown online seller, new or used, you take a chance. While this thread is for discussing what is possibly legit or counterfeit, this thread and posters in it don't guarantee anything. And Seymour Duncan, the company, certainly doesn't, either.

When you buy something new or used online from an unauthorized dealer, you take a chance. This thread should help you prepare to make that decision. If the rest of their store looks shifty, don't take a chance on playing the 'How bad could it be?' game. It is best to ask here first, before you buy.

But don't go back to the seller and say 'this thread on the SDUGF said you are a liar!'
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Placeholder

I'll put together a "things to watch out for" list with pictures soon

Comment

Thank you! You have been wonderful in pointing out the finer details of these things. We are lucky to have you here.

Comment

Hi! New here and I purchased an 80 335-s that has a Duncan neck pickup. Looks legit but cannot really find any info on it. Before I post to sell I’d like to make sure all good and if anyone has info that would be great

I also posted the bridge pickup but pretty sure it’s not Seymour Duncan.

Comment

I am not seeing any red flags on that neck pickup. It looks like a legitimate SH-1N '59 neck pickup.

Designed to deliver classic P.A.F. tone with modern construction, the ’59 (SH-1) vintage output humbucker pickup’s open, detailed sound and sweet top end make it the perfect choice for rock and blues.
          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

The bridge looks like an Antiquity.

Comment

pictures are too small for me to read

Comment

Pickups are legit...that's a '59 neck model and an Antiquity bridge. Good pairing!

Comment

Thanks everyone!!! Would you keep this configuration or go back to original dirty fingers? These do sound amazing but I’m a bit of a purist. I just haven’t heard or played the dirty finger pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by kazoo22 View Post
                    Thanks everyone!!! Would you keep this configuration or go back to original dirty fingers? These do sound amazing but I’m a bit of a purist. I just haven’t heard or played the dirty finger pickups.
                    Depends on what you want: keep these pickups if you want classic 50s-70s humbucker sounds. Put the Dirty Fingers in if you want to rock much harder than that.

Comment

Like Mincer says, a lot depends on what you play and what sound you like, but if they are working for you, don't change them! Besides, only the Deluxe and Custom 335-S models had the Dirty Fingers

Comment

The Gibson Sonex also had Dirty Fingers what an underrated and forgotten guitar.

Comment

I am gonna clean up this thread after a few days, and try to keep it as a place that only discusses the legitimacy of pickups for sale.

Comment

This is my first post here, then hello everyone :-)
                            I bought TB-4 pickup fro second hand.
                            I asked Seymour Duncan support about legality.
                            I've received the answer: "It does match up as a TB-4 made to go directly in a OEM guitar in 2008"
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	seymour_JB_.jpg
Views:	3061
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	6084355

Comment

Originally posted by bether View Post
                              This is my first post here, then hello everyone :-)
                              I bought TB-4 pickup fro second hand.
                              I asked Seymour Duncan support about legality.
                              I've received the answer: "It does match up as a TB-4 made to go directly in a OEM guitar in 2008"
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	seymour_JB_.jpg
Views:	3061
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	6084355
                              Welcome to the forum, and yes, it all looks legit!

Comment

Working...
                              X