Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there! I am new posting here. I ask you guys some help to let me know, with your experienced eyes, if this SDs are legit. I bought a pair of used SDs:

1) Pearly Gates Bridge, the sticker has this code SHPGP1B instead SH-PG1 B as standard code.

2) Alnico II Pro B Neck has 12 howled pole screws and Seymour Duncan printed logo, but usually this model has 6 normal pole screws, 6 plain poles and no logo. I only have seen this APH-1 N model in a charvel guitar.

Any comment and confirmation will be very helpful

Many thank all here!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, both of those are legitimate.

Comment

That second one, so someone put two screw coils on an APH1 baseplate and put hex screws in? I bet it would sound great, it's just not a factory job (the sticker doesn't show custom shop)

Comment

Thank you very much for your comments and feedback. This PUs are destined to a Strat or a HB Fusion T
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            That second one, so someone put two screw coils on an APH1 baseplate and put hex screws in? I bet it would sound great, it's just not a factory job (the sticker doesn't show custom shop)
            No, it's an OEM pickup for Charvel. Essentially a mass produced shop floor custom of the regular A2Pro for Charvel/Fender, not a Custom Shop model

Comment

I have an original TB-4. Looks just like mine, so it should be real.

Comment

Who is Yanko
                Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

Originally posted by newking70 View Post
                  Who is Yanko
                  Are you questioning if the Yankobucker is real?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Are you questioning if the Yankobucker is real?
                    Never heard of a Yankobucker, can you tell me more about it.
                    Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                    Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

The "Yankobucker" isn't a thing as far as I'm aware. I believe Mincer was just saying that to clarify what you are asking in your post and to differentiate it from the Gibson pickup that is also pictured.

While we're at it...that appears to be a stock SH-1B '59 model. Looks like the cover was either removed or added at some point as the soldering isn't clean like factory. On the surface, there's really nothing special about it.

As for the name "Yanko", who knows. Perhaps it was pulled from a "Yanko" guitar, came from a guitar nick-named "Yanko", or the pickup was owned by someone named "Yanko".

Comment

Originally posted by abimas View Post
                        Hi there! I am new posting here. I ask you guys some help to let me know, with your experienced eyes, if this SDs are legit. I bought a pair of used SDs:

1) Pearly Gates Bridge, the sticker has this code SHPGP1B instead SH-PG1 B as standard code.

2) Alnico II Pro B Neck has 12 howled pole screws and Seymour Duncan printed logo, but usually this model has 6 normal pole screws, 6 plain poles and no logo. I only have seen this APH-1 N model in a charvel guitar.

Any comment and confirmation will be very helpful

Many thank all here!!
                        Your bridge is a Pearly Gates Plus, not a standard Pearly Gates. That's why it's marked PGP1b.
                        These have a few hundred extra turns of wire, and an A5 magnet instead of the A2 that's inside a regular PG1b.
                        They were intended for Fender scale guitars and were only produced as OEM pickups, never sold as an individual model.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                          The "Yankobucker" isn't a thing as far as I'm aware. I believe Mincer was just saying that to clarify what you are asking in your post and to differentiate it from the Gibson pickup that is also pictured.

While we're at it...that appears to be a stock SH-1B '59 model. Looks like the cover was either removed or added at some point as the soldering isn't clean like factory. On the surface, there's really nothing special about it.

As for the name "Yanko", who knows. Perhaps it was pulled from a "Yanko" guitar, came from a guitar nick-named "Yanko", or the pickup was owned by someone named "Yanko".
                          Or maybe marked that way because it was yanked out of something else?
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Your bridge is a Pearly Gates Plus, not a standard Pearly Gates. That's why it's marked PGP1b.
                            These have a few hundred extra turns of wire, and an A5 magnet instead of the A2 that's inside a regular PG1b.
                            They were intended for Fender scale guitars and were only produced as OEM pickups, never sold as an individual model.
                            I also think they are out of phase with most other SD pickups.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hi all, i hope this is the right thread to help me understand what pickup has been installed in my squier Tele (indonesian)

A while back, I had my local tech put some Quarter Pounders in to replace the stock squire pickups. The new pickups sound nice and chunky and bitey - a definite improvement. But when I put the three-position pickup selector in the middle position, the sound is noticably thin and nasal and somewhat lower output than either pickup on their own.

I think I'm trying to describe 'out of phase' sounds when both pickups used together. As a guitar newbie, I'm not 100% sure.

I noticed the bridge pickup doesn't have the 'seymour duncan' lettering like most photos of Quarterpounder bridge pickups but I was returned both by stock pickups in very real looking Seymour Duncan boxes, complete with wiring diagrams etc. The pole pieces on the bridge QP also don't look quite as wide as the photos I see online but the pole pieces are nearly flush with the black plastic. I've attached a photo of the de-installed stock pickup and the installed 'QP' bridge pickup.

I had the idea that as a pair, these QP pickups would be OK to work in phase together but I can see two possible situations. 1) my bridge QP isn't a real Seymour Duncan. or 2)It's a different 'type' of quarterpounder that's wired out of phase to the neck QP and lacks the Seymour Duncan lettering.

If it's (1), then ouch. I have to source a genuine bridge Quarterpounder. If its (2) How do I rewire one or other of the SD pickups to get them in phase?

I'm a bit clueless on electrics and soldering but I think I could easily swap the two wires from the neck or bridge pickup at the point they get to the three way selector (quite easy to get to on a telecaster!). Or maybe there is more to it than that???

If I'm in situation (1) with a fake QP, I still like the sound from it. Could I somehow rewire the neck or bridge?

Any advice gratefully received!
                              Cheers

Sorry - I couldn't get the photo upload to work here. Here's a link to the photo

or

Comment

Definitely not a real Seymour Duncan "Quarter Pounder" in the bridge.

Sorry mate. Good thing you like it, though!

Easiest fix for the phase issue is to reverse the hot and ground leads on one of the pickups. If the bridge pickup has a copper baseplate, which is usually grounded, then reversing the leads on the neck pickup would be the easiest fix.

I would definitely take the issue with the pickups up with your tech. There's no excuse for selling you the wrong item. I have a feeling the real SD's went into a different guitar he worked on and the stock pickups from THAT guitar got put in the SD boxes for storage. Then they wound up in your guitar and that's why he had the boxes with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X