Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you so much! I don't have a tripod with my phone that's the reason why the quality of the pics is not that great. I bought the pickup from Zorro Sounds' third-party market through Amazon. I heard they were an authorized dealer of selling Seymour Duncan products.

Comment

Hi all. I'm new on here so I hope this ends up in the correct place.
      My question is about the neck pickup of a Mike Stern signature Yamaha that I was hoping to buy. To my eyes the pick up looks like an upside-down bridge pickup, the writing is on the cream coil and effectively upside-down to what I would expect and compared to every other guitar of this model that I can see. However the seller has lifted the pickup and it is labelled as a 59NL which seems correct as the stock pickup. I find this a bit of a contradiction and a bit puzzling.
      Should I be concerned? Is this something anyone has seen before?
      Apologies for no pictures at present, I am really struggling to get them to upload.
      I hope these links will take you to pictures:

Just to be clear it is installed cream coil nearest to the neck.
      Last edited by JWLjwl; 09-06-2021, 01:19 PM.

Comment

That is a real SD and the pickup has simply been flipped around in the rout. Might have occurred while the pickup was removed to be examined or the owner simply preferred the cream reversed. Not a big deal, easy fix.

Comment

Maybe he preferred the look that way, I assume that the bridge pup is opposite?

Comment

People like to flip neck pickups because you can adjust the screw coil closer to a harmonic node on the string length which makes it brighter and less dark.

Comment

Thanks for replies

The bridge pickup is a hot rails telecaster size.

I really don't think it's been flipped as all Yamaha mike stern models have the neck humbucker installed with the adjustable pole coil furthest from the neck. From what you guys are saying I now understand that this is the "wrong way".
              But, the coil cream / black zebra colours are the way they should be on other SD pickups.

Would Seymour Duncan have made these specially for Yamaha for this model?

It still doesn't explain why this guitar the only one I can find with the writing upside-down though.
              Last edited by JWLjwl; 09-06-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

That small writing is usually indicative of an OEM pickup. So, yes, probably made for Yamaha.

Comment

Hello everyone
                  New in the forum. Just bought my first set of JB/Jazz SDs from Amazon and I'm having doubts if they are real or fake ones.Thinking if I should return them and purchase a new set from sweetwater or other authorized dealer.

Readings are
                  JB: 16.8 Kohms
                  Jazz: 7.4 Kohms

Posting some pictures if someone can advise on that I'd really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                    Hello everyone
                    New in the forum. Just bought my first set of JB/Jazz SDs from Amazon and I'm having doubts if they are real or fake ones.Thinking if I should return them and purchase a new set from sweetwater or other authorized dealer.

Readings are
                    JB: 16.8 Kohms
                    Jazz: 7.4 Kohms

Posting some pictures if someone can advise on that I'd really appreciate it.
                    What makes you think they aren't real? Who was the seller?

The measurements are spot-on and most of the finer details are in line with "real" Duncans, right down to the self-threading pole screws, mildly flat spot on the screw heads, and the "soft bullseye" (i.e. not overly smooth and not rigid lines) pattern on the slug poles. The baseplate holes and bends all look appropriate also. The bending marks on the mountings tab are a little more pronounced than usual, but not particularly suspicious.

What throws me off a little is the baseplate logo. I cropped this from the pics you posted...

The only 2021-production pickups I have on hand are painted black on the bottom, so I can't make out the logos that well.

However, here is a baseplate on a regular humbucker made in Sept 2020 for comparison:

And a Trembucker from late 2019:

The font on yours, particularly the "Seymour", and the ends of the large "S" have a slant, rather than the straight ends mine have.

That said, it does match the latest SD logo, so that may be a 2021 change:

Perhaps someone else has bought a pickup recently and can compare their logo before we deem them fake?

I have a feeling these are REAL, just with an updated baseplate stamping.

Comment

Speaking of actual fakes, check out these monstrosities from eBay seller: 701ford

Link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255191066288

Comment

eBay seller 701ford is also selling a couple sets of fake "Duncan" single coils: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255191084724

Comment

And my main man khoooo1 out of San Diego has been selling countefeits for 2 years, but eBay doesn't care. People keep buying, though!

and

and

Comment

Looks like some quality pups.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Those aren't even good fakes... even I can spot them!
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

What makes you think they aren't real? Who was the seller?

The measurements are spot-on and most of the finer details are in line with "real" Duncans, right down to the self-threading pole screws, mildly flat spot on the screw heads, and the "soft bullseye" (i.e. not overly smooth and not rigid lines) pattern on the slug poles. The baseplate holes and bends all look appropriate also. The bending marks on the mountings tab are a little more pronounced than usual, but not particularly suspicious.

What throws me off a little is the baseplate logo. I cropped this from the pics you posted...

The only 2021-production pickups I have on hand are painted black on the bottom, so I can't make out the logos that well.

However, here is a baseplate on a regular humbucker made in Sept 2020 for comparison:

And a Trembucker from late 2019:

The font on yours, particularly the "Seymour", and the ends of the large "S" have a slant, rather than the straight ends mine have.

That said, it does match the latest SD logo, so that may be a 2021 change:

Perhaps someone else has bought a pickup recently and can compare their logo before we deem them fake?

I have a feeling these are REAL, just with an updated baseplate stamping.
                                Thanks for yoir response Masta "C
                                I bought them from Ike's Guitars through Amazon
                                What made me duobt the most is that they don't have the "Made in America" legend in the baseplate as the ones shown in the sweerwater site.

Nice catch on the slanted S of the logo. I did not noice that. You really have a keen eye

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X