Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ike's Guitars website says they are an authorized SD dealer. Can't use the regular SD site to double-check, because their link to the "physical dealers" page doesn't work. But the people selling fakes rarely claim to be authorized (or even have websites). I'm 99% sure the pickups are legit

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      The Ike's Guitars website says they are an authorized SD dealer. Can't use the regular SD site to double-check, because their link to the "physical dealers" page doesn't work. But the people selling fakes rarely claim to be authorized (or even have websites). I'm 99% sure the pickups are legit
      Yes I saw that too in their small web site but as you said couldn't check in SD's site. What also caught my attention was the missing "Made in America" but I guess it's ok if they don't have it?

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post

Yes I saw that too in their small web site but as you said couldn't check in SD's site. What also caught my attention was the missing "Made in America" but I guess it's ok if they don't have it?
        I have a feeling this is a recent and intentional revamp. If so, all new baseplates should look like yours.

I think it's odd that the new logo doesn't say "Made in America", but there are a couple possibilities:

1) SD may have plans to outsource some of their production to Mexico or similar. Sounds outrageous, but it's certainly not impossible given today's economic climate. Wages are going up, especially in California where SD is located, and workers hard to find in every industry right now. They may be keeping their options open.

2) It's possible that the baseplates are no longer being made in the U.S. and therefore can't say "Made in America" on them for import/trade reasons. This could also explain the difference in mounting tab markings I noted earlier.

3) SD has resigned from supporting classical nationalistic ideals and has decided their products should be origin-neutral from here on out

Comment

I am not aware of any outsourcing outside of the US. I am aware that they have ramped up the production in the US.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
            People. Stop buying pickups on Amazon and eBay.
            Easier said than done. The same pickup bought from US authorized dealers like phantom48 would cost 60-70% more bought from a local retailer. Because Straya tax. Yeah nah, I'm all for local jobs & such & such, but within reason. Got bitten once with a fake Jazz, after starting to buy from few ebay authorized US based resellers haven't had any more issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I am not aware of any outsourcing outside of the US. I am aware that they have ramped up the production in the US.
              I strongly doubt any outsourcing is happening and SD appears to be doing very well from a business standpoint.

If that IS the new baseplate design, it's more likely that the part itself is now being manufactured outside of the U.S. Of course, that might not be the case, either. Just seems odd that SD would dismiss with the "Made in ____" phrasing.

I mean, if Bare Knuckle Pickups stopped putting "Handwound in the UK" on their baseplates, entire forums would probably implode, LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
                Easier said than done. The same pickup bought from US authorized dealers like phantom48 would cost 60-70% more bought from a local retailer. Because Straya tax. Yeah nah, I'm all for local jobs & such & such, but within reason. Got bitten once with a fake Jazz, after starting to buy from few ebay authorized US based resellers haven't had any more issues.
                Yes, this is the reason. If people think they are saving $20, it is doubtful they want to investigate too deeply. I'd bet most people don't even think of a set of pickups as something that is routinely faked.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hi, I want to buy a secondhand Seymour Duncan pickup from an online store in my country. Can you guys help to identify if these are genuine or fake? Thanks a lot

both are supposedly sh2n

Comment

A little hard to see all of the details, Malachi14, but they do appear to be genuine. I think you're safe with those.

Comment

Yeah, thats the only picture the seller gave to me.
                      thanks a lot for the confirmation sir

Comment

Hi

Posting this in case someone else runs into my same 'issue'.

So, I reached out for SD directly by email and they said they could match the job orders an dates from the pics I attached and these pups are authentic. They also explained that some of the plates won't even have the SD logo due to some issues with their suppliers but the quality of materials will definitely meet their high standards.

Thanks all for your responses!
                        Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                          They also explained that some of the plates won't even have the SD logo due to some issues with their suppliers but the quality of materials will definitely meet their high standards.
                          Interesting! Sounds like they may be importing those parts now.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Hello all,

Just opened up my '83 Tele after maybe 15 years; last time it was open I installed this. Purchased new in box, which I still have. Sticker doesn't look like what I'm seeing on google on other QP's, just wondering what you all thought. Thanks!

Comment

if youve had it that long, id think you are fine. i dont think there was the amount of counterfitting going on back then that there is now.

Comment

And FWIW the 3 stands for QP.

Comment

Working...
                                X