This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
    if youve had it that long, id think you are fine. i dont think there was the amount of counterfitting going on back then that there is now.
    Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
      ...They also explained that some of the plates won't even have the SD logo due to some issues with their suppliers but the quality of materials will definitely meet their high standards.
      Perhaps here is some "proof" of this!

One of the Indonesian sellers who often list OEM Ibanez parts (likely stolen from the factory, ha ha!) is selling this wiring kit for an AZ-series guitar, which includes "Hyperion" pickups.

Notice the major discrepancies in the baseplates compared to "normal" Duncans, including a label instead of traditional stamping (or perhaps etching based on the recent sample in this thread) on the "trembucker" bridge pickup.

I'm inclined to believe these *might* actually be real Duncans. It would make sense for them to use alternative parts like this for OEM before regular retail.

Comment

Hi guys, I have recently bought these pickups from a friend but I’m not completely sure if they are real deal. They dont have a serial number or any other clue. They are actie single coils and im 99,9% sure they are not blackouts as we know them today - these are powered by 2x9V batteries. Could they be Livewries that are discontinued for awhile now?
        Thanks for your replies.

Comment

Yes, those are the original LiveWire single coils!

Comment

Yes, those are LiveWire I singles. They are great pickups with much more output than EMGs but also a bit noisier.

Comment

Great, thanks. So, I’m assuming this would be the wiring diagram for my guitar (Strat): https://www.seymourduncan.com/images...S_5W_1V_2T.jpg
              If I use 250k or 500k pots, would the value of the capacitor in the circuit be the same?
              Last edited by anazus; 11-24-2021, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Stick with 100K pots

Comment

100K pots are easy to find on ebay. Since I didn't have 100K pots I tried 250K first but the 250K pots were ineffective.

Comment

I bought a couple of Seth lovers online. One used from reverb and one "open box" from ebay.
                    They look slightly different, the signatures are a different size. And the open box came with a pickup ring which I think is unusual. I feel like the older used one is legit. Wondering about the new, open box one.

The open box. (I removed the cover)

Older used one

Image IMG-20211118-141009624-HDR hosted in ImgBB

Image IMG-20211118-140958583-HDR hosted in ImgBB

Comment

Those look legitimate to me. Someone else on here should confirm. The covered one has had the cover off at some point, but that doesn't change the situation.

Comment

They look legit to me too.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Those are legit

Comment

I bought what was supposed to be a new Custom 5 SH-14 on Reverb but the sticker on the bottom says SH-5. That means it's a regular Custom, not the Custom 5, right? The packaging is all correct for a Custom 5 but the sticker isn't.

I know it's the same pickup with a different magnet but I was hoping that before i send it back someone could confirm that a genuine Custom 5 should say SH-14 on the sticker? Thanks.

Comment

Yes, a custom 5 should say SH-14 on the bottom, but mistakes happen. Just curious, can you see the magnet?

Also, might not be a bad idea to post a pic of the top/bottom of the pickup if you can

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                                Yes, a custom 5 should say SH-14 on the bottom, but mistakes happen. Just curious, can you see the magnet?

Also, might not be a bad idea to post a pic of the top/bottom of the pickup if you can
                                Thanks.

No the cover is still there, i can't really see the magnet. Is there a way to visually tell if i could see it?

Attached Files
                                Last edited by malix138; 12-05-2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X