Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the top screw/slug/printed logo side of the pickup, if you look down in between the tape around the bobbins and the bobbins, you should see a gray or black plank of metal at the bottom near the baseplate. If it's black, it's ceramic. If its a gun-metal gray, it's alnico. Ceramic is SH-5, alnico is SH-14.

Comment

What Beau said...ceramic may look a bit like graphite or dark "charcoal" in color. If it has a silvery sheen to it, it's alnico.

Comment

Looks black to me. Pretty sure this is an SH-5. Thanks guys.

Comment

Easy to swap magnets

Comment

Hi,

Curious if this JB trembucker is real? I couldn't get a definite answer from Seymour Duncan but was curious if somebody here has seen something similar? The baseplate and jacket colour is throwing me off.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Trimshaw View Post
              Hi,

Curious if this JB trembucker is real? I couldn't get a definite answer from Seymour Duncan but was curious if somebody here has seen something similar? The baseplate and jacket colour is throwing me off.
              I've never seen that baseplate or jacket, but the label looks like some of the older labels I've come across.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Does this look legit to you guys?

Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Let's keep this thread as the be-all-end all of knowledge about legit SD pickups. While the best possible thing is to buy an authorized dealer, lots of independent sellers sell Duncans too, new and used.
                  Wanna buy something new or used and it looks fishy? Post it here. We'll discuss it. There are some seriously knowledgeable people here that know what a Seymour Duncan pickup should look like.
                  Obviously, when buying from an unknown online seller, new or used, you take a chance. While this thread is for discussing what is possibly legit or counterfeit, this thread and posters in it don't guarantee anything. And Seymour Duncan, the company, certainly doesn't, either.

When you buy something new or used online from an unauthorized dealer, you take a chance. This thread should help you prepare to make that decision. But don't go back to the seller and say 'this thread on the SDUGF said you are a liar!'
                  I recently inherited two pickups which I believe are late 1970s/early 1980s Seymour Duncans. The first of the two, pictured here, seems to be a pre-1981 SH6, measuring 13.6k on my meter. It is wax potted and looks to have a gun-metalish color magnet. Thanks in advance for any insight!

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                    Does this look legit to you guys?
                    Very low quality pictures, even on the original listing, but I think you're probably "ok" with that one

Comment

• Originally posted by TastyTuneage View Post

I recently inherited two pickups which I believe are late 1970s/early 1980s Seymour Duncans. The first of the two, pictured here, seems to be a pre-1981 SH6, measuring 13.6k on my meter. It is wax potted and looks to have a gun-metalish color magnet. Thanks in advance for any insight!
                      I'm not sure what that is exactly, but it does not appear to be an early Seymour Duncan and 13.6K isn't in spec for an SH-6.

The SH-7 (aka: Seymourizer or SH-6n) would be closer from a DCR standpoint, but what you have isn't a proper Duncan pickup as far as I can tell.

Do you have a pic of the other pickup?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trimshaw View Post
                        Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. No, that is not a genuine Seymour Duncan, at least in its current configuration.

It's possible that a previous owner re-mounted "real" SD coils to a new baseplate, transferred the label, and re-wax potted it, but that's a bit of a longshot. Even if some of the parts started off as a real SD, that pickup has clearly been highly modified.

Slightly more likely is that it was never an SD to begin with. Definitely an oddity either way!

Comment

• Originally posted by Trimshaw View Post
                          Hi,

This is really an oddball. Since the Trembucker baseplate is only used by Duncan. This could also be a very early kind of pre-production pickup with a baseplate without logo. This would give it in the time of 87 / 88.
                          Last edited by hamerfan; 01-12-2022, 06:21 AM.
                          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

• Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

I'm not sure what that is exactly, but it does not appear to be an early Seymour Duncan and 13.6K isn't in spec for an SH-6.

The SH-7 (aka: Seymourizer or SH-6n) would be closer from a DCR standpoint, but what you have isn't a proper Duncan pickup as far as I can tell.

Do you have a pic of the other pickup?
                            Crap, so, it isn't a Seymour Duncan after all? I'll get photos of the other... any ideas on what it could be?

Comment

• Hi guys, got this APH-1B offered. Does this look legit to you?

Comment

• Yes, you're good with that one

Comment

Working...
                                X