Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 conductor with a logo isn't standard, but could be OEM or a Shop Floor Custom. I wonder what guitar it was pulled from.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• All of my 59ns have the logo printed on them. They are factory surplus for guitars destined for Europe with SDs as standard. Then some rogue employee decided to sell em very very cheap like half of regular price for decent profit. They came with no boxes; not only 59s, but also Jazz, Custom 5, JB (of course), Hot Rails and lotsa DiMarzios too. Yup...cheap opium for the masses.

So rest assured sir, your pickup is legit, regardless of its origin.

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Sticker seems funny to me. I'd need to dig out some pickups to compare, but I thought pickups either had the ROHS code OR the date code, but not both? But the fact that it's 4-conductor it could be pulled from an OEM guitar. Can the dealer tell you the DCR of the pickup?
        I...don't know what DCR means. Can you elaborate?

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        4 conductor with a logo isn't standard, but could be OEM or a Shop Floor Custom. I wonder what guitar it was pulled from.
        Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
        All of my 59ns have the logo printed on them. They are factory surplus for guitars destined for Europe with SDs as standard. Then some rogue employee decided to sell em very very cheap like half of regular price for decent profit. They came with no boxes; not only 59s, but also Jazz, Custom 5, JB (of course), Hot Rails and lotsa DiMarzios too. Yup...cheap opium for the masses.
        So rest assured sir, your pickup is legit, regardless of its origin.
        Thanks for the assurances peeps. I asked the dealer, he can't recall what guitar the pups originally come from, but they were paired with a TB11 in the bridge, also black with print. So that narrows it down to, what, about a couple of dozen models?
        The SH1 is dated 08 and the TB11 is dated 07.

Btw I've decided to get the pickup, so now it's just a game of guess the OEM guitar? Suppose it would be a mid 2000s model, produced late 08-early 09 at the earliest? Mid to high specs, obviously HH (or maybe HSH?) with tremolo?
        The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

• Who cares what model they are intended for? Normally they are supposed to go into Korean/ Japanese brands made in Southeast Asia and marketed in European countries but not the USA. Yamaha Pacifica and Washburn Parallaxe are made in Indonesia and also come with SDs. It's a wild goose chase if you bother to investigate.

Also measure the DC resistance (DCR) with a multimeter and confirm if the reading is commensurate with the specifications on SD website..

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
            Who cares what model they are intended for? Normally they are supposed to go into Korean/ Japanese brands made in Southeast Asia and marketed in European countries but not the USA. Yamaha Pacifica and Washburn Parallaxe are made in Indonesia and also come with SDs. It's a wild goose chase if you bother to investigate.
            It's not important at all, just a bit of fun, especially if you enjoy wild geese!

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
            Also measure the DC resistance (DCR) with a multimeter and confirm if the reading is commensurate with the specifications on SD website..
            Oh, jeez, ofcourse. Now I understand. I'm sorry, I guess the term didn't translate at all in my head without the word "resistance". It should be around 7.43k according to specs. Multimeter in hand and cash in pocket, tomorrow I stride.

Comment

• So just an update, the 59 I was asking about, was sold. But instead there was another used 59 not listed on the website, but listed in their computer as for sale used and tested fully functional. Thank god for tiny local guitar shops ran by two people tops, right??
              Anyway this one is the classic black no print with braided shielded cable, as I actually wanted. Not that it matters, since no coil-splitting is intended for this guitar, but it's an aesthetic thing.

Comment

• Bought these set of Invaders impulsively and did not look closely until they showed up. I am assuming these are not genuine? Given the baseplates and lack of SD writing on bobbin. Assuming customshop could not do this?

Comment

• Quick search reveals they're a cheap Chinese knock off

Comment

• Get your money back.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Ah yes, the SD Impostors. They sound just like a return-policy.

Comment

• Hey there, New member trying to identify some humbuckers. These are in a Strings and Things Custom that was built in 1983. The pickups and electronics are original. Neither has any manufacturer info. Any help would be greatly appreciated! They are both 4 conductor. The zebra measures 8.7k and the double cream around 11.5k

Comment

• Bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan "59 Bridge" model, likely made around 1982, though early '83 is a possibility.

Not sure about the neck pickup. Definitely not a Duncan or DiMarzio, though.

Comment

• Thanks, Masta' C!

Comment

• Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                              Bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan "59 Bridge" model, likely made around 1982, though early '83 is a possibility.

Not sure about the neck pickup. Definitely not a Duncan or DiMarzio, though.
                              I’m not a DiMarzio expert so I would have guessed the other pick up was a super distortion. But it has no name in the baseplate which I guess rules it out. The screw pattern on the baseplate is similar too.

Comment

• Yeah, wrong baseplate for a Super D, even from the '70s when they had square tabs. Also, the bobbin mounting screws would have been silver and slotted at that time, not brass and philips-head.

Furthermore, DiMarzio never offered brown sheathing on the leads that I'm aware of, but many late-'70s/early-'80s import pickups did have brown sheaths (and some of these pickups were indeed modeled after the Super D & PAF models).

Comment

Working...
                                X