This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello,

recently, I bought a used DBZ / Diamond Bolero guitar from a private seller.
    The Humbuckers on it are supposed to be Seymour Duncans. At least the seller claims this.
    However, he can't prove that.

Unfortunately, the pickups don't have any labels or engravings, neither on the face nor on the bottom.
    The guitar itself was assumably built by the World Music Company in South Korea around 2008-2012, I can't prove it however.

Question:
    Has Seymour Duncan ever been producing and supplying such unlabeled pickups to guitar manufacturers?

I attached the pictures of the pickups.
    Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by mngguy View Post
      Hello,

The Humbuckers on it are supposed to be Seymour Duncans. At least the seller claims this.

Unfortunately, the pickups don't have any labels or engravings, neither on the face nor on the bottom.
      The guitar itself was assumably built by the World Music Company in South Korea around 2008-2012, I can't prove it however.

Question:
      Has Seymour Duncan ever been producing and supplying such unlabeled pickups to guitar manufacturers?

Thank you.

Those pickups are definitely not Seymour Duncan; the brass base plates and colored hookup wire are dead giveaways. I can't say for certain what they are, nor am I particularly familiar with the guitar in question, but those pickups appear to be Asian-made OEM pickups from approximately the correct era to be original to the guitar. I've also seen a few after market GFS pickups that look similar.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

• Originally posted by mngguy View Post
        Hello,

Question:

Thank you.

I know new models of that guitar use some sort of OEM Seymour Duncan model, but those just look like chap Asian pickups to me. They might sound fine, but they ain't SDs.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Mincer, dystrust

Thanks for your input.
          I had suspected that those are not legit SD pickups.

Anyways, the guitar itself has a decent playability.
          I don't want to complain.

Comment

• Hi, I was given a single coil pickup, from someone who inherited it from a friend and we have no idea. We think it's a bridge pickup, Seymour Duncan vintage for broadcaster but wondered if there's any way to find out for certain. There doesn't seem to be a serial number or sticker on looking at it, as is. I just wondered if I'm missing something that could confirm it. I have had a quick look through all of these and most people are posting humbuckers so just thought I should ask.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Tele_fan View Post
              Hi, I was given a single coil pickup, from someone who inherited it from a friend and we have no idea. We think it's a bridge pickup, Seymour Duncan vintage for broadcaster but wondered if there's any way to find out for certain. There doesn't seem to be a serial number or sticker on looking at it, as is. I just wondered if I'm missing something that could confirm it. I have had a quick look through all of these and most people are posting humbuckers so just thought I should ask.
              Welcome to the forum!

At quick glance, this is not a Vintage for Broadcaster. The wire is wrong, and so is the baseplate. A real Broadcaster pickup would have a copper-plated steel baseplate, and the rods would actually be magnets, not a bar magnet below magnetizing the polepieces.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Originally posted by Evelpino View Post
                I am about to buy this Pearly Gates set from a private seller here in Canada. But, the fact that the set is not signed by a winder makes me feel worried. Is this legit?
                Thanks for all your replies. I did not get any replies from the seller nor SD custom shop. So I bought a set of Cream T Whiskerbucker instead.

Comment

• Bought myself an guitar. Told me there are Seymour Duncan Antiquity 'surf' pick-up's in it…
                  anyone can confirm these are Antiquity pups?
                  Attached Files

Comment

• looks like antiquity ii surfers to me, great early 60s strat tones!!

Comment

• Wound by Seymour himself. The neck looks like it came from a different set, however. Not sure if it matters.

Comment

• Thanks for the helpful replies. The pups sounds great in this aged custom guitar… Fender telecaster body and Fender stratocaster setup… great sound
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Comment

• cool! dont know if ive seen one just like that before

Comment

• Complete picture

Comment

• Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                                cool! dont know if ive seen one just like that before
                                Fender did a version once upon a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X