X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet!

Comment

• I've got a JB that I'm not quite sure of the age. The lead wire is white (dirty), covering what looks to be braided wire. I don't know if this is the original lead wiring.

Not sure what to do with it. The lead is a little short.

"Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." John Adams

Comment

• The lead looks wrong, but the rest of it looks right. Though JBs have been messed with so much over the years, and leads cut shorter and shorter with each guitar they get moved to, someone could have had to try to replace the lead on it.

Comment

• Yeah, that pickup has definitely been apart, so no idea what was done to it, but it's a genuine SD. Seems weird to replace the lead only to cut it so short, so that pickup has probably been in and out of a few guitars in its day.

Comment

• A real Duncan has a slightly rounder corner on the edges than the fakes. This might not show up in the photo; but, look at the edge of the two and you can see a rounder cut to the real Seymour. If you are looking at a slightly “squarer” corner, you probably have a fake.

Comment

• Originally posted by stazeclop04 View Post
              A real Duncan has a slightly rounder corner on the edges than the fakes. This might not show up in the photo; but, look at the edge of the two and you can see a rounder cut to the real Seymour. If you are looking at a slightly “squarer” corner, you probably have a fake.
              Can you be more specific?

If you're talking about the mounting tabs on humbuckers, it has been my experience that fake "SH" (i.e. not Trembucker/"TB") models often have slightly rounder corners than the real ones.

However, the newest gen of fakes have more accurately shaped tabs, but lack the tell-tale contact marks of a real SD where the tabs were machine-bent and often use a bigger mounting screw, so the mounting holes are slightly bigger than a proper Duncan.

I'm curious what part of the pickup you are referring to and which model(s)?

Comment

• These look good to me, but no harm in being sure.
                From a little 59 for strat ad:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	4127115.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	6221133 Click image for larger version

Name:	4127114.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	6221134
                Can anyone confirm if they are legitimate?

Comment

• Originally posted by playas View Post
                  Can anyone confirm if they are legitimate?
                  Good to go!

Comment

• Thanks Masta' C

Comment

• Those models are safer. I think the fakers see the Comic Sans font and think nobody will take them seriously. Lol

Comment

• Hello everyone, today i traded my original TB-11 with a used TB-6 and i noticed some details that led me to think that this it not a real Seymour Duncan. Here's the photos:
                        What are your thoughts? The pickups read 17.2/3 kOhms in the 200k multimeter setting and 15ish kOhm in the 20k setting which i don't understand why. Also the Seymour Duncan logo on the front has a strange "leak" on the tail of the "Y" like if it was stamped poorly. The font size on the label looks much smaller than what i'm used to see on other Duncans. Also i've never seen electrical tape/like thing under the fabric tape! This is really strage to me.
                        Please help me, i told the seller this problem and i think i will be open to trade back.

Thanks!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• The resistance figure is spot-on, but those particular "self-threading" screw poles are definitely different than what SD uses and the label is a bit suspect. The printing of the "y" in "Seymour" falling off the edge also doesn't add much confidence.

As for the "electrical tape", it's possible that it's just paper coil tape that appears glossy from the wax, but it sure seems like a lot of it for an SD pickup. I can't recall if we came across this on another pickup (possibly even a Trembucker) somewhat recently, but it does seem odd.

Personally, I'd be a bit suspicious of this one, but it's certainly a close call.
                          Last edited by Masta' C; 03-08-2023, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• I contacted the Seymour Duncan customer service, they told me the serial number does not correspond to the pick-up model, so it's a fake. I was suspicious sinc ethe beginning... The owner is going to get it back so everything went well, he had no idea about this. It's a shame because right now there's no TB-6 used around

Comment

• Originally posted by Mattia Onorascenzi View Post
                              I contacted the Seymour Duncan customer service, they told me the serial number does not correspond to the pick-up model, so it's a fake. I was suspicious sinc ethe beginning... The owner is going to get it back so everything went well, he had no idea about this. It's a shame because right now there's no TB-6 used around
                              If SD confirms it's a fake, then there you have it!

Where are you located? The forum Trading Post is a great place to find used pickups.

Comment

• yeah, thats a fake. a good one though. the electrical tape is wrong (should be paper tape as was mentioned, and is too wide), logo is off, screws arent right, and the holes in the bobbins dont look right. almost (all?) my duncans have a square hole as well as the two round

Comment

Working...
                                X