X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masta' C
    replied
    That small writing is usually indicative of an OEM pickup. So, yes, probably made for Yamaha.

Leave a comment:

• JWLjwl
    replied
    Thanks for replies

The bridge pickup is a hot rails telecaster size.

I really don't think it's been flipped as all Yamaha mike stern models have the neck humbucker installed with the adjustable pole coil furthest from the neck. From what you guys are saying I now understand that this is the "wrong way".
    But, the coil cream / black zebra colours are the way they should be on other SD pickups.

Would Seymour Duncan have made these specially for Yamaha for this model?

It still doesn't explain why this guitar the only one I can find with the writing upside-down though.
    Last edited by JWLjwl; 09-06-2021, 03:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• idsnowdog
    replied
    People like to flip neck pickups because you can adjust the screw coil closer to a harmonic node on the string length which makes it brighter and less dark.

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied
    Maybe he preferred the look that way, I assume that the bridge pup is opposite?

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    That is a real SD and the pickup has simply been flipped around in the rout. Might have occurred while the pickup was removed to be examined or the owner simply preferred the cream reversed. Not a big deal, easy fix.

Leave a comment:

• JWLjwl
    replied
    Hi all. I'm new on here so I hope this ends up in the correct place.
    My question is about the neck pickup of a Mike Stern signature Yamaha that I was hoping to buy. To my eyes the pick up looks like an upside-down bridge pickup, the writing is on the cream coil and effectively upside-down to what I would expect and compared to every other guitar of this model that I can see. However the seller has lifted the pickup and it is labelled as a 59NL which seems correct as the stock pickup. I find this a bit of a contradiction and a bit puzzling.
    Should I be concerned? Is this something anyone has seen before?
    Apologies for no pictures at present, I am really struggling to get them to upload.
    I hope these links will take you to pictures:

https://ibb.co/JBQyfKV
    https://ibb.co/ccNYDY5

Just to be clear it is installed cream coil nearest to the neck.
    Last edited by JWLjwl; 09-06-2021, 01:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• StickProcallus
    replied
    Thank you so much! I don't have a tripod with my phone that's the reason why the quality of the pics is not that great. I bought the pickup from Zorro Sounds' third-party market through Amazon. I heard they were an authorized dealer of selling Seymour Duncan products.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    Your photos look like they were taken with a phone camera from the mid-2000s, but other than that, the pickup appears to be legitimate from what I can tell.

It's a little more difficult to identify potential counterfeits with single coils because they're not as complex as their humbucker counterparts.

Several third-party sellers on Amazon are authorized dealers, but you still have to do your due diligence when selecting who to buy from.

Leave a comment:

• StickProcallus
    replied
    I just recently bought a SSL-2 pickup from a third-party through Amazon. Knowing about Amazon selling fakes lately concerned me about this pickup being a counterfeit. Here are the pictures of the pickup.
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more.

Leave a comment:

• Acx77
    replied
    I appreciate the info you guys have provided, I will try to post some photos of the pickups soon.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    FWIW the only Custom Shop pickups I have that she signed are when a change was made, like overwound by a percentage, or different covers, etc. All my Custom Shops that are straight by the recipe don't have her initials on the actual pickup.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    JMI is an authorized dealer and one of the only retailers that regularly orders/stocks Custom Shop pickups. Happy to double-check if you can post pics, but it's likely your pickups are legit.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by Acx77 View Post
    Tried to post pics but I keep getting an error. Anyway, the number written on the box matches the number on the custom shop sticker on the pickups. My concern is the missing MJ initials on the back plate. The Seymour Duncan representative told me the serial numbers show the pickups came from a dealer called JMI Music.
    Yes, the upload function for pics isn't working right now. You can host the pics somewhere else and link to them, though. It sounds like you have a legit set there.

Leave a comment:

• Hsb
    replied
    So if the SD rep is telling you MJ doesnt initial all the CS pickups and they look legit, shouldnt really be a need for concern. And since he was evem able to tell you what shop ordered them, Id say youre all good

Leave a comment:

• Acx77
    replied
    Tried to post pics but I keep getting an error. Anyway, the number written on the box matches the number on the custom shop sticker on the pickups. My concern is the missing MJ initials on the back plate. The Seymour Duncan representative told me the serial numbers show the pickups came from a dealer called JMI Music.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X