Screws for direct mounting pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screws for direct mounting pickups

I am slowly putting together my Warmoth, and right now I am fitting the humbuckers in. Usually, I might drill out the mounting tabs on the pickup and use something like a Tele neck pickup wood screw for this. However, this body presents a problem, as there aren't they typical 'wells' in the pickup cavity for the longer screws. The other issue is that these are Custom Shop pickups, and I realized I don't really want to drill out the holes on these.

Any ideas of how to do this? I've seen expensive solutions like the FU Tone PMS brass plates, but they are $100 for 2 pieces of brass. and they won't work without the 'wells' under the mounting tabs.

The best solution would be very thin, black wood screws that pass right through the mounting holes and allow me to screw them into the wood. However, finding a wood screw that thin enough is a little bit of a process. I've seen others mention humbucker mounting ring screws, but I don't have any here, and I don't think they are thin enough.

Administrator of the SDUGF

I just went through this with a HotRails, and eventually found a very slender phillips head screw at Ace Hardware. They were threaded about halfway, with a smooth section at the top (near the screw head.) They *barely* (like, needed to be jiggled through) the threaded inserts in the HotRails.

I didn't take a note of the size, but just noting that I was able to find them without resorting to Fastenal or similar.

Larry

Comment

also available in 19mm. i use these for direct mounting pickups. works like a charm and fits SD's legs.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
        https://www.screwsandmore.de/de/sort...7981-a2-2-2x25

also available in 19mm. i use these for direct mounting pickups. works like a charm and fits SD's legs.
        Wow, very cool! I will see if I can get these here.

Comment

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take a pickup to Ace Hardware and go through the bins until you fine a small woodscrew that goes through. Ace, at least here, has the best assortment of a la carte hardware of the big names, Home Depot and Lowes generally just have big construction stuff. Or, maybe you have a local place with a good selection, I mean they are just woodscrews, you can probably find something at Stewmac or somewhere, but they will charge you a dollar for something they paid a couple of cents for. Ibanez direct mounts a lot of pickups and use small wood screws. Also you will probably want to put a piece of adhesive backed foam in the cavity to give some height adjustment.

I have used the PMS system (Mike Learn used to live near me), I'm not sure you need wells if you use short enough screws to screw the pickup to the brass piece, but it has been a while. It does work really well, but yes, pricey.

Comment

the ace by me doesnt have something small enough but fastenal was able to get me these and there were only a few cents each. normal bucker screws and springs for scale. i have a bunch of the longer steel ones but id think you want the smaller/shorter black one. they are almost like pickup ring screws so maybe look for those

Click image for larger version  Name:	small_screws.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	6078324

Comment

Another option is threaded inserts in the pickup cavity and use screws that are same size as what comes with the pickups but shorter. This also gives you the option to put spacers between the body and pickup tab if you need to raise them up a bit and keep it sturdy. You can still use spacers with regular wood screws but IME, it's not as sturdy.

And a +1 for pickup ring screws. Those do work well if you don't want to drill for inserts and such.

Comment

Yeah, no go at Ace or Home Depot today. Gonna check online. I thought about threaded inserts, too, and seen that done online. I don't know what benefit those might have over wood screws and foam, other than it is an extra step.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    the ace by me doesnt have something small enough but fastenal was able to get me these and there were only a few cents each. normal bucker screws and springs for scale. i have a bunch of the longer steel ones but id think you want the smaller/shorter black one. they are almost like pickup ring screws so maybe look for those

Click image for larger version Name:	small_screws.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.1 KB ID:	6078324
                    Do you have a part number or size for those short black screws? And those will slip right through the mounting tabs?

Comment

dont have the part# since i dont have the bag any longer since i only have like two left but ill see if i can find out the size. i believe they are #2 and whatever length you need, those are 11/16"

Comment

Orpheo's suggestion is good, but I am having a hard time finding a US retailer with metric sheet metal screws in A2 2.2X25 size. I don't have any pickup ring screws to test if they will go right through the tapped holes of the pickup...I didn't think they were that thin.

Comment

i can check mine later tonight or tomorrow and confirm they fit through the holes without issue

Comment

Just realized I could take a pickup ring screw out of my Eastman and test. It is probably a metric screw, but it doesn't really fit through the hole. I could force-thread it, but that would certainly mess up the threads. I don't know if a USA pickup ring screw would work.

Comment

The search continues. I have a few places to check out tomorrow- specialty shops in the area. If I still worked at a music store, we had drawers of misc screws that didn't seem to go anywhere. And ordering 4 screws from somewhere and paying $10 shipping hits me the wrong way. But I'll do it if I can find them!

Comment

Working...
                              X