No announcement yet.

Screws for direct mounting pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested too. Very hard to find in Melbourne AU, the local fastener shops don't stock these sizes. Found some on fleabay for few bucks with free shipping, still searching. Figured out a good size is 2.2mm diameter X 20-25mm length.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post
      Interested too. Very hard to find in Melbourne AU, the local fastener shops don't stock these sizes. Found some on fleabay for few bucks with free shipping, still searching. Figured out a good size is 2.2mm diameter X 20-25mm length.
      Yes, that is the size I was told works, but due to the auto industry rejecting metrification in 1979, metric screws are impossible to find in the US.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

with fairly affordable shipping rates. You should be good to go for under 15$.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
          https://accu.group/us/phillips-self-...T-No-2-1-A2-BL

with fairly affordable shipping rates. You should be good to go for under 15$.
          Thanks man! I put an order in. Minimum was like 20 screws, but I am sure I will have other projects. I can get this whole project finished and secure the pickups as the last step. It will take 10 days to get here, but I got gigs and still have wiring to complete on this project.

Comment

Hey Dave, Sorry I'm a little late to the party but I have three 19mm long silver screws that fit through the PU hole (they don't slide right through the hole but almost, they need to be threaded through but are small enough that they won't mess up the existing threads in the PU). I also have four 16mm and four 20mm long gold screws that slip easily right through the holes. I have lots of black or silver screws that definitely need to be screwed through the holes and will possibly mess up the existing threads in the PU holes.

You are welcome to any of these if you like. I can get them in the mail to you today. You can send me an email to [email protected] with your address and let me know what you want and I'll get them off to you right away.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              Hey Dave, Sorry I'm a little late to the party but I have three 19mm long silver screws that fit through the PU hole (they don't slide right through the hole but almost, they need to be threaded through but are small enough that they won't mess up the existing threads in the PU). I also have four 16mm and four 20mm long gold screws that slip easily right through the holes. I have lots of black or silver screws that definitely need to be screwed through the holes and will possibly mess up the existing threads in the PU holes.

You are welcome to any of these if you like. I can get them in the mail to you today. You can send me an email to [email protected] with your address and let me know what you want and I'll get them off to you right away.
              Thank you so much for your kind offer! I am sending an email now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Thanks man! I put an order in. Minimum was like 20 screws, but I am sure I will have other projects. I can get this whole project finished and secure the pickups as the last step. It will take 10 days to get here, but I got gigs and still have wiring to complete on this project.
                So is this the official answer that will work?

No.2 (2.2mm) X 1 Inch (25mm) Phillips Self Tapping Pan Head Screws

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

I will find out, as i have a few on the way.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

As far as I am concerned, yes! 2.2mm fits BKP, SD, Dimarzio, Fishman and almost every other pickup brand I know of. the length is long enough for most guitars that aren't routed for super-deep pickup pockets.

I also drill two 6mm holes for specific springs in the middle of the pickup cavity and glue two springs in place with a small dab of superglue (easily removed if necessary but just enough hold to install a pickup) so I can adjust the height. Better than finding a way to fickle a spring or tubing on the pickup with two springs and trying to get all of that mounted (or, use a small dab of superglue to glue the spring to the underside of the pickup leg; again, easily broken off in a pinch if need be). The superglue is just there to hold stuff together for a short while, never intended to fix stuff permanently. way too fragile.

Comment

I didn’t want to ream out the holes in my Duncan pickups so I simply used short humbucker bezel screws. They are countersunk though so the pickups won’t be level like how they are with bezels unless the foam you put underneath pushes up hard enough equally on all sides. It’s not much of a problem though.

You won’t find threaded inserts that work well in the states for some reason. What you can do is use a humbucker baseplate and mount it at the bottom and still be able to use the 3-48 screws. You’ll have to file down the threads just below the head if the screws so they spin in place.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

THANK YOU! I got them today, and will be installing the pickups this weekend.

Comment

Hey Dave, did everything work out as planned?
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

so what screws should I buy? im in the same boat here

Comment

Even though this topic is a bit old, I'm curious about your experience with those fasteners you mentioned. I've also been on the hunt for some high-quality and durable screws for my own projects. Just wanted to share that luckily, I discovered this resource, https://www.scrooz.com.au/, and I have to say, they've got an excellent range of all sorts of hardware. I found exactly what I needed for my project! I recently used their products for a little home renovation project, and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of their screws and how quickly they were delivered.
                              Last edited by Waggemay; 10-27-2023, 06:36 AM.

Comment

What I wound up doing (sorry I missed the questions earlier) is finding machine screws small enough to fit through the holes in the pickup, so I didn't have to thread them through. I used a cut pickup spring into threaded inserts I installed in the body. It effectively works as a regular pickup in a ring, and in my opinion, looks better.

Comment

Working...
                                X