Variable resistance with push pull potentiometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variable resistance with push pull potentiometer

The diagram is the planned set up and the push pull pot is 500K. However I would like to use a 500K resistor to drop the pot down to 250K when it is pulled ( ie when single coil option is selected). Anyone done something like this before?

Yes, it's pretty cool. It's useful because it sounds differently than simply turning the tone down. It dampens the whole sound instead of chopping off only highs.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I guess the bigger question is: with current wiring where would you place the resistor to allow for it to drop the pot resistance when it is pulled?

Comment

Originally posted by Renoch View Post
        I guess the bigger question is: with current wiring where would you place the resistor to allow for it to drop the pot resistance when it is pulled?
        Unfortunately, you can't with that setup. Both sides of the PP are already used. You'd need a 2nd push-pull for the "resistor" duties, which would no longer be intuitive. If it was me, I'd do master vol/tone, and use the extra tone pot hole for a 3PDT switch so that splitting and the resistor could be done simultaneously.

Comment

I had come to a similar conclusion. I would prefer to avoid adding any additional knobs or switches to the face of the body. Anyone know of any other options? I guess I could just run 250K push pull for both.

Comment

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about "adding" another switch or knob. I'm talking about replacing a knob for a switch. 100% reversible, if you don't like it. The next step would be, don't worry about the 250k thing with split humbuckers. A split humbucker is not exactly the same as a single coil. It will probably be fine. The thing is, you can try both of those options and see where you stand, tonal-wise. Both, are 100% reversible, without scarring your pickguard.

Comment

You could do it and still keep your second tone knob by using an S-1 pot instead of a regular push-pull.
              Pretty sure the S-1 switch is 4PDT, and there is a 500K version.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I’m ordering an S1 switch. This should be fun. Thanks for everyone’s advice.

Comment

Working...
                X