Push/Pull Pot Diagram Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push/Pull Pot Diagram Question

I am confusing myself on this, so hoping for clarity.

In diagram below, ignore the wiring - my question is about the lugs.Assume that both images ARE OF THE SAME POT, just different views.

On the left image of the pot (viewed from below, or cavity side of the pickguard on a strat), lug 1 is the far left lug, lug 2 middle, lug three far right. This is how all wiring diagrams that I've seen specify the pot lugs.

Now, in the right image of the actual push/pull with the switch attached, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the lugs be reversed when looking from bottom (assuming switch lugs are facing upward)? So in that image, lug 3 is on the LEFT, and lug 1 is on the RIGHT.

Is that correct?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bright-Switch-Push-Pull-1980x1746.png Views:	0 Size:	296.6 KB ID:	6079462

The easiest way I can explain a push-pull pot is with this diagram. The twin contacts slide up and down with the knob. The center terminals are the "commons" that connect to either the terminals closest to, or farther away, from the pot body.

Click image for larger version

Name:	push-pull.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	6079464

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      The easiest way I can explain a push-pull pot is with this diagram. The twin contacts slide up and down with the knob. The center terminals are the "commons" that connect to either the terminals closest to, or farther away, from the pot body.

Name:	push-pull.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	6079464
      Yes, I know how the switch works, appreciate that though.

I'm trying to reconcile the lug positions of the pot in each diagram.

Comment

I see. You're asking about the pot lugs. Not the push-pull terminals. In that case, you are correct. If the left pot goes 1-2-3, then the right pot goes 3-2-1.

P.S. That's a weird diagram from Fralin. Pulling the knob takes out the volume and tone control, but still leaves in the resistance of the pot. I wonder what the idea here is?
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-10-2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          I see. You're asking about the pot lugs. Not the push-pull terminals. In that case, you are correct. If the left pot goes 1-2-3, then the right pot goes 3-2-1.
          That's what I thought. But then I saw this:

Name:	Push-Pull-Pot-Basics.png
Views:	149
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	6079475
          And from the same site this:

Name:	resistor-material-600x598.png
Views:	145
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	6079476
          So shouldn't that top pic have Lug 3 on left and lug 1 on right?

Comment

For the sake of consistency, yes it should. Unfortunately, there's surprisingly little standardization in switch and pot labeling.

Comment

Ok ,thanks for confirming. I wired 3 push/pulls, and I was second guessing myself. Haven't put it in the guitar to test yet.
              Last edited by rmackowsky; 05-10-2021, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Cool. Let us know how it works out.

Comment

Working...
                X