HHH autosplit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHH autosplit question

Rewiring a Floydcaster for autosplit in positions 2 & 4. It has Parallel Axis pickups (PATB-1n / PA-STK / PATB-3).
    I figure probably best to autosplit the middle too, so as not to overpower the split coils from neck or bridge.

Can this be done using a standard 5-way or would it require more terminals?
    If so, maybe one of the five-ways that's half-doubled instead of a fully doubled Superswitch?

And do you think it's worth doing in the first place?
    Or would it perhaps be best just to leave the middle at full power?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

PS: Started another thread specifically about the PA-STK.
    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 05-10-2021, 08:45 PM.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

If hum-canceling is important to you, be advised that you can't get hum-canceling when an odd number of coils are in play, like the scenario you are considering (i.e. three splitcoils being combined).

To answer your original question, it MAY be possible to do this "3 pup coilsplit" with just a superswitch, *depending* on what you want the other 4 positions of that superswitch to do. So, what do you want those other 4 to do?
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks, but I'm not interested in triple coils - I've had that option available before and never really found it useful.

Not looking for anything fancy or exotic, just a plain regular autosplit: full hums in positions 1, 3 and 5, with splits in 2 and 4.
      My main question is whether it's worth splitting the middle for the 2 & 4 positions, and if so how to work it.

Without splitting the middle I know it can be done with a standard five-way.
      I figured splitting the middle would likely take more terminals.

Might be doable with a three-pole though, right?
      Or would it definitely require the four-pole Superswitch?
      Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 05-11-2021, 07:35 PM.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'm pretty sure you'd need the Superswitch.

Comment

Ah, I misunderstood your question.

A traditional 5 way doesn't have enough poles (without also impacting Position 3).

I just did a sketch and yes a superswitch has enough poles to split the middle pup along with the other two in Positions 2 and 4.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks guys. If I do decide to go with splitting the middle, I'll soon be asking for help with a diagram to do it with the Superswitch.

Comment

Working...
            X