How can I confirm that my installation worked correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I confirm that my installation worked correctly

I installed a new SD bridge pickup the other day in my Gibson LP and while the new pickup worked fine, my neck pup stopped working. I looked really closely at the pot for the neck volume and it seemed to have some extra solder connecting two posts (no idea how that happened and I never even touched that pot) so I ordered a new pot and installed it yesterday. In the process I noticed two wires that had become detached. Good thing I took a picture and could figure out where they needed to go. But now I'm not sure everything is right. When I put the switch to the neck position and tap the bridge pickup with a screwdriver there is no sound (as expected), but when I put the switch in the bridge position and tap on the neck pup there is some sound. It's very low (almost inaudible), but I didn't expect to hear anything. Is it possible that I missed something? I guess the real question here is if the selector is in the bridge position and I tap on the neck pup with a screwdriver should there be any sound?

The best advice that I can give you is to get a good wiring diagram. Figure out if the Les Paul is 50's wiring or not. There are some subtle differences. Second get good at tracing wires point to point. It is a good skill to have and will serve you well.

To answer your question about signal bleed, I am not super sure. On a guitar with a pick guard the answer is yes. The thud of the screwdriver can transfer to the other pickup. I don't have as much experience with non pick guard guitars. I seem to remember there was a time I heard the same thing. I am not sure what I did. I will tell you what I do now. If you aren't afraid to sort of drag the screw driver over the poles very lightly after the initial thud. If you hear treble frequencies, most likely there is an issue. That isn't to say that some signal bleed might actually sound good. If you are happy with the sound, I would just move on... if you aren't hearing treble bleed and like the sound. Maybe not the right answer but pulling your hair out over minutia sometimes just isn't worth it.

When in doubt, I ask questions... then if I can't get it, have someone else fix it. Less time fiddling and more time playing.
    Last edited by Jeffsmusic4919; 05-12-2021, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Your best bet is to take some detailed close-up shots and post them with as much info as you can about which wires are which.
      Maybe someone will be able to figure out what's going on to help you figure how to fix it.

Comment

Does the problem manifest outside the guitar also? Or only when everything is packed into the guitar and tightened down? You could have a 'tang' or blade of the switch touching something it's not supposed to, or a wire contacting something it's not supposed to. Otherwise, perhaps just a bad solder joint somewhere? Or it could be fine and somehow the bridge is picking up the vibration somehow?
        Last edited by beaubrummels; 05-13-2021, 02:00 PM.

Comment

I think I figured it out. If I turn down the bridge volume there is no sound so that pretty much guarantees I'm not getting any bleed - right? At least that seems to make sense. I could just be turning down the bleed sound to I guess. Anyway, I'm getting great tone so I think I'm all set. To be sure I could disconnect the neck and see if there's any difference. Also wondering if I put some metal between the neck pup and the strings to block the pup that might work as well although I don't know where I'd find anything thin enough. I'm guessing aluminum foil wouldn't do it since aluminum isn't magnetic.

Comment

putting something between the pup and strings wont stop the neck pup from making sound, the magnetic field might be influenced by whatever you use but it wont go away

Comment

Working...
            X