• Show
Clear All

• Adventures In Single Pickup-land??

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210511-014718_Gallery.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	6080754
    Evenin' all~ I'd love to hear some inspiring ideas about much fun & sounds I can squeeze out of a single SD Trembucker size p/u using the Triple Shot for all it's tonal variations,,, I've been thinking about the P-Rails cuz it's a P90 (my fave) & a single coil, & it's calling out to me...
    But I'd like to hear of other satisfying setups,,, I love that P90 growl, but I also dig the world of single coils, but I'm curious to hear about some of all your adventures,,, a solid HB sound along with some delicate and/or funky sounds of some Strat-like split positions, & of course a solid parallel & series sound.
    Thnx all & be well~
    Kenny

My Jackson is currently set up with a 5-way blade that does:

Full humbucker, straight out, no tone
    Full humbucker, with tone
    Parallel coils (with tone)
    Split to slug (with tone)
    Split to screw (with tone)

I have it with a Liberator, and then swapped out

Full Shred
    Screamin Demon
    Slash bridge
    Jazz bridge
    Custom
    Custom 5
    Custom Custom
    Distortion
    Black Winter

The Custom family always sounds Fender Strat like with split to slug. The Black Winter also.
    Parallel seemed remarkably similar across all of them. The Custom family came closest to having character like a Filtertron, the others were more just like a brighter, lower output version of what they already are.
    Splitting to screw coil often sounded punk P90-ish across all of them
    My Distortion just sounded louder or quieter in all positions. Remarkable that it kept consistent character no matter what.
    The Black Winter is what is currently in and may stay for a while. It has the versatility of the Custom but also handles the old metal stuff like the Distortion. I may put the Distorition back in at some point as it was the hands down best for doing old metal tunes and sounded just like those records (dead on, better than the Winter). Ultimately, I think I will permanently put a Custom or Custom 5 in there as they were the most versatile.

There's a few more I still need to swap in just to hear also.

Comment

I did a thing where I put a spin a split plus a phase switch so you can have either coil on in full and then bring the other coil in as much as you want.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I would convert to a single bridge HB if there were a trick that could replicate the smooth sound of a neck pickup.

Comment

if only 0.C.~ Presently, the guitar has a SH-4, JB, w/2 options, full out HB, & a push/pull to get the North only coil.... The p/u is nice, even great, but it's not a Trembucker width that i require....
          Thanks guys!

Comment

I don't really seek super high o/d from the pup, as my homebrew amps are plently gainy, & I'm hooked on the P90 vibe~
            Thnx all & BEAUBRUMMELS~

Comment

Me was JB, JB A8, Alt8, Custom, C5, C8, C4, C3, Screaming Demon, SD A8 and now CC.
              I don't split, because I don't like a single coil in the bridge. But the parallel setting is great, so parallel and Humbucker with a push-pull and a switchsable tone pot.
              Best parallel sound with a JB so far. Next I try some combos with a UO A5.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I've done the single-pickup thing for what seems like forever. My old Kramer Baretta has Screamin Demon in it. I've got a SG Junior with a P90. A LP Junior DC project with a single P90 to finish, I've used countless humbuckers as the only pickup. The only ones I split that I really liked are the Custom Custom, Perpetual Burn, and DiMarzio Air Zone. The were set up to rock! ("we don't need no stinking neck pickup!"). The SG Junior has a tone control so if I want to get a "close enough" neck pickup tone, I roll the tone back some. With what I'm doing these days, I like having a neck pickup, except for those Juniors. Only a single P90 will do.

Comment

The correct answer to 'single pickup guitar' is 'neck humbucker in a semi-hollow'. : P
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

ahemm... neck p90 in a full hollow

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      Yeah...

Or, just to be mean. A "Broadcaster" (?) , isn't that the Tele with just a bridge PU?
                      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

an esquire is a tele with just a bridge pup. i made one a while ago, its a terrific instrument. teaches you how to get the most out of a simple setup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	esquirefront-1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	6081099

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          Eh. You might get a pass with a Charlie Chrstian single coil in a hollow too . . .
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Funny that this popped up. I was visiting dad this weekend and grabbed the old Squier bullet I gave him years ago when he said he wanted to learn to play. I cleaned the years of basement grime off of it and I've been trying to decide what to slap in it. I've got a bunch of stuff laying around that I'm going to start tying next time I get bored.

Comment

Does this count? I mean, only one of the three actually works, as for squeezing out sounds, it is intended to squeeze out but one sound. But what a glorious sound it is!

Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X