banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2006 Gibon LP Standard Stock Pups - awful - what do you think of this upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Gibon LP Standard Stock Pups - awful - what do you think of this upgrade?

Hi All - standard BBPro's in this beautiful guitar unfortunately - especially noticeable on lead - these pickups sound terribly thin a bit honky (almost single coil like in a way) hard to describe - not smooth - to - roar that this guitar is known for. I was considering after reading about some successful upgrades of a '59 neck and with PG bridge - I play rock (classic to modern) and blues. What do you think of this upgrade (any others I should consider)? Thanks!! For comparison by the way I have a US G&L Legacy HH that smokes this LP for tone, I know the bodies/woods totally different but the pickups are so much fuller, organic and smooth.
    It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

I have a 2006 LP Faded - it’s my #2 axe - and I too found the stock BB’s ugly. I went with a straight set of 59s and they’ve sounded great ever since. My plan was to use them as a baseline and then swap in more sculpted pups as I learned the tone of the guitar. Thing was, I never went with that plan!

I did, after several years, decide to do the Artie De-mud mod on the neck pup (search the forum, you’ll find it), which took out some of the bass and made the tone there more “airy” (think of the neck tone on Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac recordings).

I did originally have triple shots to play around with series/parallel - however, removed that because I found I could get what I wanted with the standard wiring (albeit I do have a push-pull phase switch for the middle position)

Finally, I’ve found the 59s have a lot of tonal range depending on distance to strings - when dropped down, they can get that PAF/Tele on steroids thing; when raised they can get more raunchy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

For rock (classic to modern) and blues in a LP Standard, I would use:

Pearly Set
      Pearly bridge / Jazz neck
      Jazz bridge / Pearly neck (my favorite)
      59 neck in the bridge / Seth neck (poor man's Jimmy Page set)
      Slash set (it's like a hot Jimmy Page set / generic rock set)

plenty of others work as well, those are just starter kits for consideration

Comment

My first thought after reading the op was Slash set.

Comment

Custom Shop Pearly Gates set.

Comment

If you swap the magnets for A2, you would turn it into a BB1/2 set. Those are much more useable in my opinion. Barring that, I'm a fan of the Slash set. That's what replaced the BB1/2 in my R7

Comment

You'll be just fine with a PG/59.

Comment

Working...
              X