No announcement yet.

HELP WANTED finding wiring diagram for adding master volume to USA Telecaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP WANTED finding wiring diagram for adding master volume to USA Telecaster

Hi All. I am modding my USA Standard Telecaster (HB in neck, original single coil in bridge). I'm removing the tone control, adding a volume control for each pickup and adding a master volume control via a new pot on the control plate. Possibly using a split pot/double pot for the pickups to save space. I'm doing this to get the Gretsch style master volume when you dial in the right volume on both pickups. Thanks.

Looking at a standard wiring scheme, the master volume pot is the usual volume pot, wired in between the input jack and the switch. Then each pickup volume pot goes between the switch and the pickup.

Comment

Just use the Gretsch wiring diagram for that configuration. (Your 3-way will be different.)

https://assets.ctfassets.net/3xaxfhp.../NoToneREV.pdf

Unfortunately, they don't mention pot values. I'd probably use 1-meg's for that configuration.

Comment

Keep the present volume control and wire each pickup to one half of your stacked pot, then to its terminal on the switch.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

FWIW master volumes WITH individual volumes are generally a recipe for tone suck. I second Arties 1M pot suggestion, at minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Just use the Gretsch wiring diagram for that configuration. (Your 3-way will be different.)

https://assets.ctfassets.net/3xaxfhp.../NoToneREV.pdf

Unfortunately, they don't mention pot values. I'd probably use 1-meg's for that configuration.
            Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            FWIW master volumes WITH individual volumes are generally a recipe for tone suck. I second Arties 1M pot suggestion, at minimum.
            I have an Epi Wildkat with a master volume setup; it's always been a bit dark compared to other P90 guitars.

Would love to open up its sound a little. Replacing the individual pickup volumes would involve a F-hole hassle.
            If I were going that far I'd probably replace the whole harness which uses infamously high-capacitance wire.

But there's easy back-panel access for the master.

Do you guys think a 1Meg master pot would make an appreciable difference if the others remain 250K?
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate the help.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

I have an Epi Wildkat with a master volume setup; it's always been a bit dark compared to other P90 guitars.

Would love to open up its sound a little. Replacing the individual pickup volumes would involve a F-hole hassle.
                If I were going that far I'd probably replace the whole harness which uses infamously high-capacitance wire.

But there's easy back-panel access for the master.

Do you guys think a 1Meg master pot would make an appreciable difference if the others remain 250K?
                I think you would notice a difference going from 250k master to 1M master vol. A master is kind of like using a volume pedal with a Les Paul - some of them are famous for tone suck. I had an Ernie Ball pedal and replaced the pot with a 1M and it improved quite a bit. There's still interaction when all volumes are not on 10, but it's not as bad as feeding a 250k into a 250k.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                  I would think it would be noticeable. "Appreciable" . . . is harder to say. Sometimes, when you're searching for that perfect tone, you just have to experiment with stuff. A little work can go a long way.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll try 1 Meg.

Comment

Working...
                    X