Recommend a good 7-string neck pickup to compliment a Fishman Open Core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a good 7-string neck pickup to compliment a Fishman Open Core

I have a Jackson H7 Pro with Fishman Open Core's in it and love the clean tones with the neck pickup. I also have a heavily modded JS22-7 and I tossed an Entwhistle Dark Star in the neck just to see and it kinda sucks (it's a bridge pickup and in the bridge position the cleans are really awesome - not so much in the neck. But this guitar is my beater/experimenter so now I know...)

Don't really care if it matches the current bridge pickup in the guitar (a Nazgul), so I'm not really sold on the Sentient. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't give it a shot if I found a cheap one. I'm much more interested in it complimenting the Open Core in a mix with 2 different clean tones at once. I think 'glassy' and 'rich' are what I'm after, but honestly not sure I'm describing what I want very well.

Originally posted by Iron1 View Post
    I have a Jackson H7 Pro with Fishman Open Core's in it and love the clean tones with the neck pickup. I also have a heavily modded JS22-7 and I tossed an Entwhistle Dark Star in the neck just to see and it kinda sucks (it's a bridge pickup and in the bridge position the cleans are really awesome - not so much in the neck. But this guitar is my beater/experimenter so now I know...)

Don't really care if it matches the current bridge pickup in the guitar (a Nazgul), so I'm not really sold on the Sentient. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't give it a shot if I found a cheap one. I'm much more interested in it complimenting the Open Core in a mix with 2 different clean tones at once. I think 'glassy' and 'rich' are what I'm after, but honestly not sure I'm describing what I want very well.

You want something with a relatively low DC resistance and a lot of harmonic content. Really a single coil would be best I think…but here are some suggestions:

Duncan Jazz
    Dimarzios Humbucker from hell
    Last edited by Nsatke81; 05-19-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks! Not sure I've tried a Jazz yet, so that might be fun. Either that or maybe a single coil in a hum backer sized box?

Comment

Full Shred neck is glassy, very articulate and, to my ears, has a bit more low mid than Jazz. I have both in different guitars and I think I like the FS better for cleans, the Jazz feels a bit flat.

Comment

Went and listened to some Jazz videos & pup comps. Amazing how close to the 59 it sounds. In the vids - which are utterly subjective, I know - I do prefer the Jazz to the 59 and Sentient. We might have a winner here if I can find a cheap used one worthy of going in a beater guitar. Thx!

Comment

It’s really a shame that Bartolommeo doesn’t make a 1c in a seven string version. That has the glaziers tone I’ve ever heard from a bucker but with almost an acoustic guitar quality.

If you are looking to change to active…I will say that the retribution neck is shockingly gorgeous clean.

Another one that’s a single in a humbucker house is the EMG H or HA for 7 strings. This will give you the real glassy bell like tone and are great for those singing gilmour style leads as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X