No announcement yet.

Anybody swap out a 85/15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird, right? Could it be a USA vs Import thing? Or perhaps bolt-on vs set-neck? I don't know...

Comment

There can be a pretty big difference in PRS pickups between the imports and the US models they're meant to resemble.
      My only experience with this has been a Starla set but it seems clear that there are significant differences across the whole line.

This is likely to be especially pronounced in the 00/00 series pickups - they (edit: the USA ones) all use special unobtainium wire from one particular vintage extruder.
      Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 05-18-2021, 09:53 PM.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I've not heard the Floyd prs models yet in person. What Duncan's would you guys go for in 25" scale & Floyd bridge, in a mahogany body/maple top (not sure if it's maple or mahogany neck) for cleans to rock sounds

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
          I've not heard the Floyd prs models yet in person. What Duncan's would you guys go for in 25" scale & Floyd bridge, in a mahogany body/maple top (not sure if it's maple or mahogany neck) for cleans to rock sounds

Would still use the set I mentioned above, Custom Trembucker / Pearly Gates neck.
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            There can be a pretty big difference in PRS pickups between the imports and the US models they're meant to resemble.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
              I'm definitely hearing more mids/low mids on the SE bridge pickup than on the American. It seems woolier and muddier. Anyone else get this?

Of course, they're also on different guitars, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Trying a USA version of the pickup in my guitar would be pretty interesting. They seem to only be available used and so are pretty pricey - cheapest set I found is $325.

PRS does sell some new single pickups on their store: https://us.prsaccessories.com/collections/pickups
              This would be easier to swallow, but they don't sell the 85/15, and you don't get many color options.
              Last edited by alex1fly; 05-19-2021, 10:16 AM.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

As mentioned by others, those are the "S" versions. They're ok, but most quality USA pickups will be better. They split well due to the wiring, not the pickups.

I replaced the USA 85/15s with a set of WLH. I think it was an improvement, but it was a lot closer than I expected. I would recommend those over the USA version due to price more than tone.

Comment

Spent some time with it the last couple of days and it sounds a lot better with some lows and low mids removed prior to the amp. Less mud. Maybe it'll work out stock. That'd be ideal - no wiring, no $$, and keep the beautiful zebra cream color scheme. Thanks all for your input and opinions.
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

using an eq for that?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      using an eq for that?
                      Yeah. EQ to the rescue again.

Comment

I think an A4 magnet would be interspersed in the 85/15 S bridge. In fact I am going to try it in my SE Custom 24.
                        Owner:
                        Slamo Custom Guitars
                        Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

Working...
                        X