I found a Tim Shaw!!! What now???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found a Tim Shaw!!! What now???

I recently came into possession of a guitar that turned out to have a Gibson Tim Shaw in the bridge. And yes, I am absolutely sure it is a true Tim Shaw.
    Just not sure what I should do with it. I do have a nice LP copy that needs the pups and pots replaced. I was planning on saving up for a Slash set for it. I also acquired an original Dimarzio DP103 PAF from the late 70s or possibly early 80s a while back. I could also use that, even though I planned to put that in something else.
    I know both the PAF and the ShawBucker were used in both the neck and bridge. If I was to decide to use those in the LP (which I may or may not end up selling), should the Shaw go in the neck and the PAF in the bridge or vice versa?
    I know the ShawBucker is like the holy grail of pickups, but to be honest, I am not a very good player and lean towards heavier stuff. Would I be happier just selling the Shaw and getting the Slash set (or trading it for a set)? Or should I not let the be all end all pickup get away, hope I grow into it and just use a pedal to push my amp with it for now?
    Thanks in advance fellas

BTW, if you haven't discovered Lari Basilio yet, do yourself a favor and check her out. A Seymour Duncan email turned on to her, and I and very thankful.

I have several Tim Shaws, one set in a guitar and one single, besides that a transition pups ( T-Top bobbins, T-Top date stamp and TS specs)
    My take is that the market price is higher than their sonic capability.
    Just to clarify: True TS have a distinct bridge and neck. They can be recognised by the color dot on the hookup wire and by their number eg a 137 582 is neck and 138 582 is bridge.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

If you can make a pretty penny on Reverb/Ebay/here, I'd say do that.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the Shaws had different neck and bridge models.
        Unfortunately, mine doesn't have the ink stamp on the back. The pat. no. is stamped in the metal and it has the "Pat. Appl. For" sticker, but no stamp.
        Also, the previous owner had it rewired, so it could be split, as he had it in a super-strat. So, I can't go by the color of the dot on the end of the lead wire either.
        I can't say for sure if it is a bridge model, but I would assume so.
        I am certain it is a Time Shaw though. It has the rough-cast mag, white plastic spacers, three holes in the bobbins (one showing red), correct resistance, brass bottom plate screws and the correct pat # imprinted in the plate. Just not that ink stamp. Which from what I read, wasn't always there. Just as the sticker wasn't either.

Comment

Working...
        X