I don't think I'm all that happy with the way the Custom is sounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think I'm all that happy with the way the Custom is sounding

I've used the Custom before with good results but right now I put it in my Iced Tea 60's Les Paul and it sounds kinda sterile. The sound isn't sweet like it should be. I was wondering if I put in an Alnico 5 magnet it would make it less brittle and more sweet.

Or the other way is try a new pickup.

What to try?

A JB?

I play mostly hard rock and metal.

Alnico 5 will notch the mids out, which I do not think you want to do if it is sounding sterile.

I would swap the magnet with an Alnico 8, which retains the best of the Custom while adding sweetness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

An A2 magnet will definitely sweeten it up. Haven't tried an A8 so can't comment on that.

Comment

im an a2 bucker junkie but i also am very much in the blues/rock tone camp. a cc in the bridge of a lp is such a fun tone to solo with. a8 would be a little less strident than ceramic and might be worth a shot. a5 is scooped which i loved in my sg and can sound great in a lp. magnets are cheap and if youre confident with swapping them, go for it

Comment

Putting an A2 mag in there would make it a Custom Custom which is excellent in a Les Paul. I'm using it in a few guitars myself, one being a Les Paul, and a few other members have put a CC in their Les Paul with pleasing results. As jeremy said, a cc in the bridge of a lp is such a fun tone to solo with.

Comment

Whole Lotta Humbucker was the warmer less-sterile direction in my Les Paul. Surprisingly, a Distortion in my Les Paul also sounded warmer/thicker than the Custom (sounds bright/tight in shredstick but different in LP). JB didn't work so well for me. Had a huge weird mid bump, was good for rock but was missing something on the top end, and the bottom wasn't thick or tight in my LP.

Comment

A2 or A3 is your best bet for reducing sterility. A2 is fat and A3 has a similar vintage sound while being leaner. Otherwise you'll have to go to a different pickup.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Another vote for A2. I've tried a Custom 8 multiple times, and I never have as much fun playing it as I do with a Custom Custom. And it'll easily do anything from AC/DC to GNR to RIP-era Megadeth with a boost. I don't have any issues with loose bass, either, although the next time I go for a djent tone will be the first.

Comment

The custom is a great bridge pick up and 90% of times is a safe bet. Moreover with a magnet swap, it's easy to adjust its character. It's strange for me earing the behavior of your pick up. But you have it, you have the guitar, you ear it and if you don't feel it right my advice is trying first a magnet swap. I prefer, in dual humbuckers guitars, pickups blended together well but with different tonal character. For example, my main guitar is a les paul standard with 59A4 and a Custom8, my second Les paul has a P490 and a HB-L, my PRS custom 24 se a 85/15 s combo ect. Humbuckers that work together well but with different magnets. Don't know what neck humbucker you have. But a A8 is my first choice. Then a A2. I'd avoid the JB, that I prefer in strat like guitars. Anyway I shall give the CC or the C8 a chance before leading to a different pickup, that would be a super distortion if you ask me.

Comment

I would suggest that an unoriented A5 may be a better choice than A2. Still plenty of mids but not so mushy.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I forgot about UOA5. If you play hard rock and metal, A5 and UOA5 could be good. UOA5 is a tad more vintagey, middy, and natural. A5 will be less clanky than ceramic but still sounds slightly sterile. A2 and A3 would take the pup as vintagey as it would go. Beyond that if you need it to sound more organic, you'd have to change pups.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

I'm using a Distortion in the neck. I want the bridge to sound more sweet and I think A2 would do that. I don't know where to buy these other magnets like A8 or A3.

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
                          I don't know where to buy these other magnets like A8 or A3.

Comment

Working...
                          X