Wiring Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Help

Hey guys, I'm putting the old pickup from my Les Paul into my Schecter. Schecter's set up for coil taps on the tone knobs but the pickup's 2 conductor.

What terminal do I use on the Tone pot?

Originally posted by Oldfart_Shredman View Post
    Hey guys, I'm putting the old pickup from my Les Paul into my Schecter. Schecter's set up for coil taps on the tone knobs but the pickup's 2 conductor.

What terminal do I use on the Tone pot?
    Can't do coiltaps on a 2 conductor pickup. Sorry to break the bad news to you.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I know that, but I'm not sure which terminal to solder to just for normal humbucker operation on a coil tap potentiometer with all the options there.

Comment

The 2 conductor pickup won't have any connections made to the push-pull on the tone pot. The 2 conductor's Hot wire will get connected to wherever the hot wire is supposed to go in your Schecter (i can't provide insight on the particulars for this because you haven't named the specific model of guitar nor described the wiring scheme), and the other wire of the 2 conductor will get connected to ground.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Sorry, it's a Tempest with typical les paul controls 2 buckers, 2 vol, 2 tone.

Comment

The 2 conductor pickup's Hot wire goes to the left lug of the volume pot for that pickup, and its Ground wire goes to the back of the pot.

Comment

Thanks all,

I finally got the pickup installed this past Saturday using the wiring diagram from Jack_TriPpEr. The Tempest has Les Paul Controls.
              What a difference a dark guitar makes: this pickup was gainy with open highs and tight bottom end in the Les Paul. In this Schecter it just seems to be a lighter version of the chewiness that existed with the last pickup. Maybe I need to check the Capacitors. Can't remember the value but remember they were the Tube Amp Doctor brand.

Comment

Glad it worked out.

Online info is telling me a Schecter Tempest is a double cut body shape, with a maple neck and ebony fretboard. If your Les Paul has standard specs for a Les Paul (single cut, mahogany neck with rosewood neck), than that difference in specs btw the Tempest and the Les Paul would be expected to contribute to the Tempest having a tone with less depth, IMO.

Comment

It's a '76 Les Paul Custom and has a maple top on it. AFAIK the Schecter is just straight up mahogany body. Les Paul is noticably brighter with open highs where the Schecter has some darker Metal angst built in lol.

Comment

Here they are.

Comment

Don't think that just because you don't have a 4-conductor pickup you can't use the push-pull pot for something. You could use it as a phase switch or bass cut for example
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
                      X