Neck pickup choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck pickup choices

I'm currently using a Distortion in the neck of my Les Paul but was wondering about other choices. Is the 59 neck too boomy and bassy in the neck of a Les Paul? I'd like articulation but also sweetness.

59n as-is is my last choice for LP neck. 59/A4 is a solid replacement, actually has stayed in my LP Studio through about 10 other bridge choices, so it works really well. A2P works, might be too mid-heavy depending on what is in the bridge. Articulation and sweetness? My faves are Jazz neck and Seth neck. If you have a hotter bridge, I'm sure a '78 Model would work well as a hotter neck. I haven't used a Full Shred neck but have heard/read it's great for neck articulation, tight, bright and detailed (not sure about 'sweetness'). Whole Lotta Humbucker neck is probably the best 59-ish neck I've used, however. WLH and 59/A4 stayed in my SG and LP for over a year. Jazz (A5) and Seth (A2) I swapped back and forth over 2-3 years, depending on the bridge at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      59n as-is is my last choice for LP neck. 59/A4 is a solid replacement, actually has stayed in my LP Studio through about 10 other bridge choices, so it works really well. A2P works, might be too mid-heavy depending on what is in the bridge. Articulation and sweetness? My faves are Jazz neck and Seth neck. If you have a hotter bridge, I'm sure a '78 Model would work well as a hotter neck. I haven't used a Full Shred neck but have heard/read it's great for neck articulation, tight, bright and detailed (not sure about 'sweetness'). Whole Lotta Humbucker neck is probably the best 59-ish neck I've used, however. WLH and 59/A4 stayed in my SG and LP for over a year. Jazz (A5) and Seth (A2) I swapped back and forth over 2-3 years, depending on the bridge at the time.
      I never knew that you like the A459n. I might possibly respect you more because of this.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Where can I get an Alnico 4 bar magnet from?

Comment

I see some on Ebay. Maybe I will try the Seth Lover neck model.

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
            Where can I get an Alnico 4 bar magnet from?
            Got mine from AddictionFX. They are on ebay and have their own site. http://www.addiction-fx.com/gallery1.htm

Comment

For a powerful bridge, the Screamin Demon would be a good neck companion.
              It's big & articulate yet sweet and still a little bit woody in neck position.
              I like a Demon at the neck.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                I never knew that you like the A459n. I might possibly respect you more because of this.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                I have used the 59b/UOA5 + 59n/A4 set and it is a killer set. UOA5 is way better than any A2 suggestion. Probably should be the factory default for all Gibson guitars. Over time I prefer some other bridges, like the Bare Knuckle Black Dog, but the 59/A4 has stayed. It's not 100% perfect, a little thick and hot, but it's so good I don't have a better alternate.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                  For a powerful bridge, the Screamin Demon would be a good neck companion.
                  It's big & articulate yet sweet and still a little bit woody in neck position.
                  I like a Demon at the neck.
                  +1
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    Have had a 59 with a A 4 mag swap in the neck of my Orange swamp ash body Washburn MG 102 with a JB in the bridge for years now. Really like that set up as well as the A4 SNS neck.
                    If your running a DD neck might want to look hard at a Sentient. Nice and full clean and very articulate with gain it's a great neck for singing solos. Have a couple in guitars now. Am about to list a floor custom Zebra Sentient BTW.
                    Last edited by Ascension; 05-22-2021, 08:29 AM.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
                      I'm currently using a Distortion in the neck of my Les Paul but was wondering about other choices. Is the 59 neck too boomy and bassy in the neck of a Les Paul? I'd like articulation but also sweetness.
                      Historical consideration: Once upon a time ALL Les Pauls had "59s" in the neck - so no.
                      - Note some of those "59" PAFs were actually A3 or A4 PAFs...so there is that. Try them.

It REALLY depends on your Les Paul. I would say that a 59 sounds just peachy in a Les Paul, unless you have one of those ultra dark/muddy LP's. While they are out there, it isn't like 40% of them are that way.

My LP Distortion combos would be:

Distortion + Distortion - because just effing LOUD!
                      Distortion + 59 - Because this is the Duncan equivalent of a SuperD + PAF
                      Distortion + Demon - Because this is a high end match for the Distortion, but closer to a PAF, and nice tight bottom vs a 59 if boomy/dark
                      Distortion + ​​​​​​​Jazz - Again, bright enough to match, low on the bass side
                      Distortion + ​​​​​​​Full Shred because - We are shredding on this, right?

Not a Fan of the A2P or PG with a Distortion. I think that is just me. A PG might be a great Como because it is just a super LP neck pickup in all the right ways. I'd use this for a Blues to Metal LP

​​​​​​​Just re-read. Articulation plus sweetness? Demon and use the frickin' tone knob. Done.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

What about a Seth Lover with an A5 if the A2 is too soft?

Comment

Wait - WHAT is in the bridge???
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've just pulled out a Custom and am planning on replacing it with a Custom Custom.

Comment

I like the Full shred neck, it has really grown on me as an overlooked option, especially if you want articulation. The Sentient is warmer and "sweeter"

Comment

Working...
                              X