Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacing question

Hey guys,

I just ordered a JB bridge for a Fender Duo Sonic, and the box says, "Designed for bridges with traditional humbucker string spacing of 48.9mm." Is that the right one, or do I need to send it back and exchange it for one with 53mm?

I think with the JB either the standard to trem spaced pick up will be fine. The only thing it would affect is look and you would have to be holding the guitar to notice the strings off a little bit. If it were a lower output pickup, there may be a bit of an issue, but the JB should not cause the issue. I have a standard Distortion in a trem spaced bridge and its just fine.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

With a higher output pickup like a JB it doesn't matter. What is the string spacing of your Fender?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Fender usually puts "traditional spaced" humbuckers in their guitars. Back in the day, there was no other option and the tones were fine.
        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Thank you guys for the quick responses!!!

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          With a higher output pickup like a JB it doesn't matter. What is the string spacing of your Fender?
          I am not sure the spacing of the guitar. It is one of the duo sonic reissues from a couple of years ago.

Does Seymour Duncan even offer the JB with 53mm spacing? I went to the website, and didn't see one. Will this kind of be like how EVH tilted his bridge pickup? Off by just a hair...
          Last edited by Rat Bastard; 06-02-2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat Bastard View Post
            Thank you guys for the quick responses!!!

I am not sure the spacing of the guitar. It is one of the duo sonic reissues from a couple of years ago.

Does Seymour Duncan even offer the JB with 53mm spacing? I went to the website, and didn't see one. Will this kind of be like how EVH tilted his bridge pickup? Off by just a hair...
            It’s a simple job to measure the distance from one E-string to the other

If it is a wider spacing, Seymour Duncan offers a Trembucker version of the JB (and a lot of their humbuckers) which will be a closer match than the standard version.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
              Fender usually puts "traditional spaced" humbuckers in their guitars. Back in the day, there was no other option and the tones were fine.
              Fender spacing is F-spacing which is wider than regular spacing.

Comment

It’s a simple job to measure the distance from one E-string to the other

If it is a wider spacing, Seymour Duncan offers a Trembucker version of the JB (and a lot of their humbuckers) which will be a closer match than the standard version.
                Thanks for the tip. It is indeed 53mm.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted

Did you manage to get your order changed?

Comment

Will the inconsistency mess with the output or the EQ in anyway?
                    Last edited by Rat Bastard; 06-06-2021, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Will the inconsistency mess with the output or the EQ in anyway?
                      Not with a pickup like a JB! The output is high enough that it 'hears' the strings well even if they are a little off of the poles. If you have OCD, it might bother you that the strings don't line up perfectly with the poles but it is effectively the same as a Trembucker version.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Not with a pickup like a JB! The output is high enough that it 'hears' the strings well even if they are a little off of the poles. If you have OCD, it might bother you that the strings don't line up perfectly with the poles but it is effectively the same as a Trembucker version.
                        Is that how this works with the spacing and output? I tried a pearly gates hb in a f spaced bridge and I had dropout issues with the high E but when I installed an invader in the same bridge it didn't seem to have any issues. I was wondering about that.
                        It's funny how some stories became historic,
                        especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

Is that how this works with the spacing and output? I tried a pearly gates hb in a f spaced bridge and I had dropout issues with the high E but when I installed an invader in the same bridge it didn't seem to have any issues. I was wondering about that.
                          If the pickup is higher output, you won't have those issues. I can hear the high strings start to get quieter with vintage output pickups like the 59 or Alnico II Pro.

Comment

Does Seymour Duncan even offer the JB with 53mm spacing?
                            Just as an FYI: I just measured one of mine. Since the strings tilt inward slightly, a 53mm bridge will be 52mm at the actual pickup. Trembuckers are 52mm.

(0.414 x 5)

Click image for larger version

Name:	trembucker_baseplate.gif
Views:	124
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	6086202

Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-07-2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I had the exact opposite problem. I dropped a 59/custom Trembucker into an old Squier and it was too wide. It sounded fine once I raised a couple pole pieces, though

Comment

Working...
                              X