Santana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santana

This is an odd sounding question given my guitar, but I'm looking for a neck humbucker to reproduce the gorgeous tone Santana has on Samba Pa Ti. Unlike his mahogany PRS, I'm using an LTD M-1000 E (alder with a maple set-thru neck) with a Floyd Rose bridge. I realise it's entirely the wrong guitar to get me that tone and I will probably end up with a tone that's a bit brighter, but is there a Seymour Duncan pickup that will get me close to that tone, or at least in the ballpark? I'm putting a Super Distortion in the bridge.

Welcome to the forum!

I might start with the Alnico II Pro, which can approximate that sound. The Alnico II magnets are a little rounder, and the output is about right for what you need. The rest is the right touch, and standing in the right spot to get that sustain to start happening!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just watched a live version of Sampa Pa Ti, and he was on the bridge pickup for the entire 14 minutes.

He was riding the volume the entire time, and it sounds to me like his tone was down to around 50%. But even more so than that he switches between a pick, and his fingers, in conjunction with his volume knob to really manipulate his sound, it's pretty amazing actually.

but he also uses a Boogie MK1, which are super dark amps.
      I do think that Mincer is right that the Alnico II Pro would be a good choice, but if you are really going after a Santana tone, you should focus on your bridge pickup and dynamics.
      Last edited by oilpit; 06-03-2021, 05:10 PM.
      Originally posted by jcthejester13
      Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

Seth neck. Need an unpotted PAF that can do controlled feedback and has a little bit of mid honk. No idea if it will work with an SD bridge for other things, but for Samba Pa Ti, I'd say Seth.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful. I was thinking of a JB in the bridge, but I've always fancied a Super Distortion and never owned one before. This LTD, being alder body, maple neck and ebony fretboard, is also the closest I've been in terms of guitar to one of my favourite guitarists, Adrian Smith, so I figured the Super Distortion would be a good choice. I reasoned I wouldn't get a Santana tone very easily from a Super Distortion, so that sort of tone would have to come from the neck pickup. As I also like the creamy, fluid neck tones of Dave Murray, I hoped that with the right pickup, I could use it for Dave Murray leads and dial the tone back a bit for Santana. I assumed a softer magnet would work best but DiMarzio only seem to do alnico 5, hence it looks like it will be a mix 'n' match set up. The APH-1 and APH-2 both seemed like safe bets, though there doesn't seem to be much difference between them, other than cost and a shade more power.

Comment

What is the amp you are using? 90% of his tone is achievable using a mesa mark series amp. If not that amp then I'd look into a pedal that gets that sound, SuperDs are fun pickups though.

Comment

I don't actually use a conventional amp anymore. A few years ago, circumstances forced me into the multi-effects route. I bought an Atomic AmpliFire and I was impressed enough that I have no intention of ever having a valve amp again. I'm actually between units at the moment but I'm probably going to get a Boss GT-1000.

Comment

do you want the tone off the record? p90s and a twin. or his mid 70s tone? or his modern tone?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartibartfarst View Post
                  Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful. I was thinking of a JB in the bridge, but I've always fancied a Super Distortion and never owned one before. This LTD, being alder body, maple neck and ebony fretboard, is also the closest I've been in terms of guitar to one of my favourite guitarists, Adrian Smith, so I figured the Super Distortion would be a good choice. I reasoned I wouldn't get a Santana tone very easily from a Super Distortion, so that sort of tone would have to come from the neck pickup. As I also like the creamy, fluid neck tones of Dave Murray, I hoped that with the right pickup, I could use it for Dave Murray leads and dial the tone back a bit for Santana. I assumed a softer magnet would work best but DiMarzio only seem to do alnico 5, hence it looks like it will be a mix 'n' match set up. The APH-1 and APH-2 both seemed like safe bets, though there doesn't seem to be much difference between them, other than cost and a shade more power.
                  Yes, the Alnico-based neck pickup can do the Dave Murray thing, too. Santana may use higher output pickups now, but traditionally, he was using stock pickups. I do agree that a boosted Fender-based preamp (like the Mark series) pretty much nails his tone.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                    I just watched a live version of Santa Pa Ti, and he was on the bridge pickup for the entire 14 minutes.

He was riding the volume the entire time, and it sounds to me like his tone was down to around 50%. But even more so than that he switches between a pick, and his fingers, in conjunction with his volume knob to really manipulate his sound, it's pretty amazing actually.

but he also uses a Boogie MK1, which are super dark amps.
                    I do think that Mincer is right that the Alnico II Pro would be a good choice, but if you are really going after a Santana tone, you should focus on your bridge pickup and dynamics.
                    Santana does this a lot live - bridge pickup, tone down, lots of manipulation of the controls and plucking method.

My most instantly believable Santana tone came from a PRS SE Santana in the middle position with the tone knob down.

Good luck! I'm tempted to say "try some pickups you're excited about and then work towards his tone with your amp modeling" but that's more what I would do in your situation and not necessarily the best way to do it.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                    X