Just arrived...not EXACTLY what I ordered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just arrived...not EXACTLY what I ordered

Just received my QP tele lead tapped pickup from the custom shop and they wound it a little hot. I ordered a stock copy of the QP tele lead tapped pickup with different cosmetics. They got the cosmetics right but I was told it would be 17k and tapped half way through. Well it turned out to be wound to 18.9k and tapped at 10.2k both a little hotter than stock that I ordered. I'm going to try it out but if I find it too hot what do you think the custom shop would do about this? I know there is a no return policy but I didn't order this hot wound pickup. I would understand if it was a small difference but it is nearly 2k hotter than I ordered. Thanks for the feedback I hope it's not too hot but I think 17k is already on pushing it for a true single coil.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

im sure itll sound awesome. 17k is hot but its skinny wire and having the tap at 10k rather than half isnt a bad thing either. if you dont like it, call em up

Comment

...but how does it sound?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm going to have it installed and will let you guys know how it sounds just getting some opinions on the customer service issue in the meantime.
        It's funny how some stories became historic,
        especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
        But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Resistance is not equal to output; they are just commonly correlated to a degree. The delta is right at a 10% margin of tolerance (not sure what tolerance Duncan warrants, but...) Just because the resistance comes out higher, that could be due to wire thickness. The recipe for a pickup is the number of turns.

Comment

my qp is 17.6k and its not cs. i wouldnt worry about it, put it in and rock it

Comment

Measurement error occurs also. You could have measured wrong. As always - measure with your ears first and always.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Measurement error occurs also. You could have measured wrong. As always - measure with your ears first and always.
                its on the box

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

its on the box
                  Well, maybe it should be in a sealed envelope that says “open ONLY after listening!”
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Does the Custom Shop promise to wind to the exact specs as requested? Or do they take the request, translate it, and make a pickup that's in the ballpark and will work well for the intended purpose? I've never done a custom order, so I'm genuinely curious.

I wouldn't sweat it. As stated the DC resistance is not a direct measurement of output. The Custom Shop folks literally make custom pickups for a living... I think you gotta trust them with a little leeway.
                    Last edited by alex1fly; 06-03-2021, 01:17 PM.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

By all means, take a listen first! If it bothers you or don't like it give them a call. I think that if a parameter was clearly and explicitly agreed upon and they botched it, it's on them and they will make it right or if it was on purpose, they'll explain why.

As others have mentioned judging the output based on dcr only can be tricky. You might very well have the output you wanted, but at a different dcr due components adding up slightly differently.

Comment

Not sure if you're interested, but it won't hurt to post: If you wire it up to a DPDT on-on-on switch, you can get full QP, tapped QP, Tapped-OOP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Split_OOP.png
Views:	220
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	6085305

Comment

Duncan winds sloppy, +/- 10% is pretty typical
                          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Stick the pickup in your freezer for a while, and then re-test. You'll get a different ohm reading depending on the temperature of the wire. This way you can keep adjusting until it's at exactly the measurement you were expecting. :P
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

You may have just invented the "Black Winter for Tele"

Comment

Working...
                              X