lil 59 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lil 59 question

I am putting a lil 59 bridge in my tele and it does not tell me what to do with the 5th (silver un coated) wire. Any help is geatly appreciated.

Re: lil 59 question

Originally posted by telerifik
    I am putting a lil 59 bridge in my tele and it does not tell me what to do with the 5th (silver un coated) wire. Any help is geatly appreciated.
    Dude, that's your drain wire, it's connected to the shield in the cable, and to whatever base plate arrangement that pup has ... It always without exception gets soldered to ground.
    ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
    ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
    Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

thanx for the tips ken!

I got it all hooked up and it sounds very thin with no body or warmth. Being a novice pup guru Id guess I have done something wrong.

Comment

Ok I am getting there one goof at a time

The bridge sounding thin was a bad ground connection. Now when I switch to use the neck and 59 bridge it sounds thin and bodyless. Here are some details.

59 in the bridge of course
        fender noiseless in the neck
        3 way switch
        250k pots

I do have the ground to both pups together on the volume pot, could this be my problem?

Thank for any help guys... I know this is petty to you gurus

Shibby Dibby
        aC

Comment

Hey Telerific; I'm not positive about this, but I believe I've read in these threads somewhere that the Fender p'up uses a "reverse" polarity than an SD p'up does. I believe you need to reverse the wires of either the SD or thr Fender.

Hopefully one of the other folks will confirm this. Kent?

Comment

check the FAQ .. mixing SD's and Fenders doesn't sound like a good idea
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
              Hey Telerific; I'm not positive about this, but I believe I've read in these threads somewhere that the Fender p'up uses a "reverse" polarity than an SD p'up does. I believe you need to reverse the wires of either the SD or thr Fender.

Hopefully one of the other folks will confirm this. Kent?
              Yeah,(depends what day of the week it is with those guys ... ), reverse your black and green leads on the lil' 59 (black>ground; green>hot), that will put you in phase. I'm not sure how the noiseless pups are constructed, whether they are a stack, or whether they are doing a transformered induced stacked/partial shielded thing ( circa DMZ virtual vintage series). So you might have have to split the lil' 59 to remain hum-cancelling when both are on together.
              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

thanx for the info fellas, i will try it today and let you know how it goes.

aC

Comment

BTW, everyone is right about mixing Duncans and Fenders. They're wired opposite. Also, about your grounding question. If you can, you should run all ground connections to the same point. This prevents ground loops from occuring.
                  -Butch Snyder
                  butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

It is all working now guys, thanx for the help. I think I love this pup. I say think because it is kinda hard to really tell until the new pup joy dies down. I may try to venture into splitting the coil. Maybe I could put a 4 way switch in for it? bridge>bridge split coil>bridge neck>neck.

Comment

Working...
                    X