• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mincer_HH-01.png
Views:	300
Size:	691.7 KB
ID:	6088174 Ok. Pretty sure this is it. Jack . . . check me out.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I know that diagram specifies flipping the magnet on the neck pickup. Would flipping the magnet in the bridge pickup also work while keeping the wiring the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post

I know that diagram specifies flipping the magnet on the neck pickup. Would flipping the magnet in the bridge pickup also work while keeping the wiring the same?
        I'm pretty sure it would, but let me sleep on it. It would change the polarity of both pups, but since both get changed, the wiring itself should stay the same.

But let me confirm tomorrow. I just moved from my desktop to my laptop, and my reference drawings are on the desktop. And obviously, others can answer. Jack?

Comment

Just to be clear, I would only be flipping the magnet in the bridge pickup. The neck pickup is stock, standard polarity and wind as received from Seymour Duncan.

The reason I asked is that I have a guitar wired to do the same switching as Mincer's.

The only differences that I can tell are that mine began with both standard polarity/wind pickups and I flipped the magnet in the bridge pickup.

Everything seems to work well but this thread has me second guessing it.

Comment

Well dang! You're right again. My head is spinning. The pic I just uploaded, (while you were posting), shows that you are correct. So Mincer, ignore that diagram. I'll do the corrected one tomorrow. I'm burnt.

Thanks Jack for double-checking me. But it would be helpful if Mincer could tell us which way the neck pup logo is oriented. Is it on the same coil as above the backplate "Trembucker" stamping, or below it.
            No need to apologize Artie. My earlier mistakes (calling the pup a RWRP when its only RP, and talking about Reverse Wind behaviors when you had cleaely said said Reverse Wind), had certainly drained my mental battery by the end of a full work day, and I would think it would have a similar effect on anybody else involved in this discussion.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I checked you out. You're looking b*tchin'! Lol

Good work!
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I'm pretty sure it would, but let me sleep on it. It would change the polarity of both pups, but since both get changed, the wiring itself should stay the same.

But let me confirm tomorrow. I just moved from my desktop to my laptop, and my reference drawings are on the desktop. And obviously, others can answer. Jack?
                I agree the wiring would still work, but the fact that each pickup would be reverse wired with regards to all 4 coil's true electrical polarities, would irk me personally. And probably cause me or anyone confusion years later when we forgdt why it was wired like that and we needed to work on that guitar, e.g. replace a pickup, replace the switch, etc.
                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-14-2021, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

I agree the wiring would still work, but the fact that each pickup would be reverse wired with regards to all 4 coil's true electrical polarities, would irk me personally. And probably cause me or anyone confusion years later when we forgdt why it was wired like that and we needed to work on that guitar, e.g. replace a pickup, replace the switch, etc.
                  Especially if the replacement pickup going in in the future does not use Duncan wiring color codes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Spotted the problem.

On the pole of the superswitch where the Neck pup Series Link Pair is attached to the Common of that pole, the destinations of lugs 2 and 4 need to be reversed. Lug 2 needs to goto Ground, and lug 4 needs to goto Hot.

Also, I am assuming that for the Neck pickup, you are using Green wire as Hot and Black wire as Cold because you said that the Neck pickup is a RWRP type.

Let me know how that mod wotks.
                    OK, flipping the 2 and 4 lugs seems to have kept it hum-cancelling, but I haven't tested to see if I got inner and outer coils. I am guessing that my neck pickup isn't rw/rp, but just has a magnet flip.

How does it differ from Artie's new diagram above?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

OK, flipping the 2 and 4 lugs seems to have kept it hum-cancelling, but I haven't tested to see if I got inner and outer coils. I am guessing that my neck pickup isn't rw/rp, but just has a magnet flip.

See replies # 74 and # 81

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Actually, my last reply did not fully answer your question.

Artie and I concluded that your original diagram works if either of the pickups is Reverse Polarity *AND* Reverse Wound (RWRP).

However, if either of the pickups is Reverse Polarity ONLY (i.e. mag flip only), then either of the diagrams in replies # 64 or #76 will work.

Reply #74 has info about your neck pickup being Reverse Polarity only, not RWRP.
                        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 06-15-2021, 12:02 PM.

Comment

And Mincer, do your PA's have logo's. I'm still curious about the orientation of the neck pup, since you can't tell by the usual pole-piece method.

Comment

Doesn't the logo match the baseplate orientation? Can just look at the baseplate, no?

Comment

And Mincer, do your PA's have logo's. I'm still curious about the orientation of the neck pup, since you can't tell by the usual pole-piece method.
                              Both covered pickups have small logos in the corner. BTW, looking at my notes, it looks like I had originally specified rw/rp in my order, so that is entirely another issue.

So Artie's new diagram will solve this. I will change the bottom left destinations of lugs 2 & 4 (post 76). I will do this today and report back. Thank you guys for straining your brains for this mystery. I learned a lot from reading through these responses.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                                Doesn't the logo match the baseplate orientation? Can just look at the baseplate, no?
                                That's the problem. My PA-TB1n has no logo. But I'm pretty sure that these are meant to be mounted with the "Trembucker" stamping reading right-side up. Even though it's on the bottom. That orients the cable exit properly and makes the inside coils the B/W wires.

P.S. It's nice that my Blues Saraceno is wound by MJ.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PATB-1-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.9 KB ID:	6088338
                                Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-15-2021, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X