Questions about my 'Do It All' Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about my 'Do It All' Wiring

I've been wiring up my new Warmoth with my Do It All wiring and a new 5 way Superswitch. I am getting some unexpected results so I was wondering what I was doing wrong, since I've been staring at it too long...

Originally I had to flip a magnet on the neck pickup. This neck pickup is completely rw/rp so that's what is messing me up. Wiring it like this diagram (below), I had to reverse the neck green & black to be in phase. Problem is the 2 & 4 positions, which are giving me either neck side coils or bridge side coils together, in phase and humbucking instead of the inside coils & outside coils in phase and humbucking. So I am guessing this has to do with the reverse polarity. So, is this possible with a rw/rp pickup? The sounds I am getting now aren't bad at all, just not what I am used to. Can this diagram be altered to get what I need?

Administrator of the SDUGF

Hey Dave. I'm a little confused by a couple things. In your text, you say the neck is rw/rp, but on the diagram it says the bridge is rw/rp. Are you sure either one is actually RW? I would think that would be pure custom shop to rewind the coils the other direction. RP is simple. Could you clarify those two points?

Comment

OK, the diagram was copied from my original article. Thinking about it, I don't think either pickup in the original idea was rw/rp- I think the magnet was flipped on one of them, and that's it. Providing that this new pickup set was built properly (I should have tested it before installing), the neck pickup is fully rw/rp. Wiring like the diagram, positions 2 & 4 are hum-cancelling and in phase, but just the wrong coils. In position 2, I am getting both bridge coils, and position 4 is both neck coils.

These aren't bad sounds, and I can certainly live with them. But I want to find out if it is possible to 'correct' them to inside & outside coils, in phase and hum-cancelling. While doing that, I want to be able to understand what the hell I did, and why it is working the way it is.

Comment

Can you just rotate the offending pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          I thought about it, and actually did do that for a few days. I wasn't happy with the look, honestly. I was also very curious as to how I could make it work the 'normal' way.

Comment

I don't know how the superswitches are wired to try and follow what's happening but wouldn't it stand to reason that - completely aside from the phase - there is something incorrectly wired if you are getting two coils in the same pickup instead of one from each in both the 2 and 4 positions?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              That doesn't actually do anything. The coils are still wound the same way, and the magnet still has the same polarity relevant to the stud/screw coils. If you think about it, ALL neck pups are "rotated" in order to keep the traditional inside stud coil look, and they remain in phase.

At this point, doing the "screwdriver test" on both pickups would be helpful. You don't need to unwire anything. You can just unscrew one end of a guitar cable and measure there. If you have an unused 1/4" plug laying around, even better.

I just checked my PATB-1n and PATB-3b, but the 1n is missing the logo, so I'm not sure which way the neck would be oriented. I can say that on the bridge pup, B/W is the coil above the "Trembucker" stamping, and the neck is opposite.

P.S. As your diagram sits now, it should be #2: inside coils, and #4: outside coils.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-10-2021, 04:58 AM.

Comment

At the risk of not fully understanding what you’ve got with RWRP, flipped magnet, swapped black/green…. If everything is working as you want except the coil that is split on one pickup in 2/4, this is how I see it, just to update that.

If you want to change which coil is being split to, it is the poles on the “left” side of the diagram doing this. If you swap the red and green jumper position on just the one pole/pickup you want to change, it’ll swap the inner vs outer. Basically make the red and green look like an “x” and you’ll switch stud vs screw on 2 vs 4 vs what you have right now.

Artie and Beau feel free to correct me, but that’s what I see.
                Last edited by PFDarkside; 06-10-2021, 06:09 AM.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  Artie and Beau feel free to correct me, but that's what I see.
                  You are correct. The thing that's throwing me is the RW thing. I doubt they are, but I don't know if Dave ordered something special. I'm sure he wants all the positions to be humbucking. That's the tricky part, without knowing what's going on with the pups. Are they stock, except for a mag flip on one?

Comment

Yes, I had originally ordered the neck pickup rw/rp, as that was what I needed for the idea I had with that super 3 way switch (middle position being the outside 2 coils). Well, when I tried that, there were issues with the switch- it stuck out too far, and there were big gaps of silence between each position. It really wasn't working for me. So I decided to convert the wiring to the diagram above with a brand new Superswitch.

Since my new CS pickups worked perfectly with that diagram I tried, I can assume that the neck pickup is, indeed rw/rp.

Translating to the diagram above, I got:
                    1. bridge
                    2. bridge side coils of both pickups
                    3. both pickups full
                    4. neck side coils
                    5. neck
                    Problem was that 2, 3 & 4 were out of phase. I fixed that by swapping the neck's black and green. So the way it is wired is exactly right now is exactly like the diagram above, except swap the green and black on the neck pickup. All positions are in phase and hum-cancelling, but not the coils I wanted. That's where I am now.

Comment

Ah. Now it makes sense. Let me think about this a bit. I want to make sure I get it right. And remind me, which coils did you want in #2 and #4?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        Ah. Now it makes sense. Let me think about this a bit. I want to make sure I get it right. And remind me, which coils did you want in #2 and #4?
                        2.outside
                        4. inside

Thank you all for your help. When things get convoluted like this, I wind up asking the experts.

Comment

You're welcome. And I'm assuming that #2 is the next position beyond bridge #1. Not everyone numbers the positions the same.

Comment

So for my own knowledge, what do you get with a RWRP Humbucker? I assume the magnet is opposite so you get North on the Screws and South on the Studs? Are the start/end of each coil swapped as well? If so, why were they out of phase when both Black leads were hot and green leads were ground?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              That doesn't actually do anything. The coils are still wound the same way, and the magnet still has the same polarity relevant to the stud/screw coils. If you think about it, ALL neck pups are "rotated" in order to keep the traditional inside stud coil look, and they remain in phase.
                              If, for example, he's getting the coils toward the neck in position 2, why wouldn't rotating the neck pickup make the coil toward the neck now the coil toward the bridge? It's a Parallel Axis, so there's no difference in the coils and poles except location along the string.

Comment

Working...
                              X