Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan JB vs DiMarzio Super Distortion

Hi everyone!

As some of you may know, I own a mid-range basswood Washburn N series guitar, which I had modified to really make it a rock guitar with a special touch of versatility. Now, it has 24 frets, a Schaller Floyd trem, Fender locking tuners and two pickups: a Pearly Gates neck and a DiMarzio Super Distortion bridge. Overall, I feel happy with it, but I gotta confess something... Before I went with the Super D, I was strongly considering the Duncan JB since I read a lot of good reviews about this pickup, praising its versatility and ability to cut through the mix. However, I chose the Super D because many of the guitarists I admire have at least one, and from my experience, I could tell it is the ULTIMATE metal tone, at least for me. Beefy lows, roaring mids, warm highs: You donīt need anything else!

However, I certainly feel curious about what would've happened if I went with the JB. So, from your experience, I'd like to hear what you think about the JB, its advantages/disadvantages compared to the Super D, and if it would have given me a great (or better) tone for the stuff I play: old school metal (standard and drop-d tuning), thrash, groove, hard rock, classic rock and a TINY bit of everything else.

Keep in mind, there are other pickups (like the Custom) that might be right for what you need it for. The JB is really the ultimate hard rock pickup. It has been used for metal, but these days, there are more specialized metal pickups.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I say, if the Super D is working well for you, then let it be.

I'm a big JB fan, but it's not a magic bullet pickup that suddenly makes every guitar awesome. It can sound killer in one guitar and then lame in the next.

The JB and Super D have a lot of overlap when it comes to rock and metal capabilities. They go about things in slightly different ways, but which is better depends largely on the player, the particular guitar, and the rig being used.

Comment

If you're a metalhead and those are your kind of tones, don't choose. Keep the Super D and put a JB in the next guitar.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          If you're a metalhead and those are your kind of tones, don't choose. Keep the Super D and put a JB in the next guitar.
          This

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            This is the correct answer.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If you've never tried the JB, try it in something.

It generates a lot of very familiar tones effortlessly with its characteristic mid hump honk. Mostly rock, but not just... quite a few very heavy metal tones too, for example, old Arch Enemy
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by FerMetalhead1 View Post
                Beefy lows, roaring mids, warm highs:

I'd like to hear what you think about the JB, its advantages/disadvantages compared to the Super D, and if it would have given me a great (or better) tone for the stuff I play: old school metal (standard and drop-d tuning), thrash, groove, hard rock, classic rock and a TINY bit of everything else.
                Beefy lows; The JB has lows. Not super big or thump, not beefy. Maybe a little loose (even for an A5 mag) in some guitars. Very mid-line bass IMO. Not sloppy or mushy, but nothing outstanding about them.

Roraring mids; The JB has 'punchy' mids. In the SuperD, I think the bass/mids blend to provide a more even tone from bass to mids, and tilted a little towards the lower mids. Thus "roar." The JB has mids a little towards the upper mids maybe, and they "pop" out of the overall tonal landscape of the pickup. This is a reason why you get a JB in the first place.

Warm Highs; The highs on a JB cut, and some might say can be piercing in the wrong guitar. A JB with a Floyd is NOT the wrong guitar. I agree though, more highs than a SuperD, not that a SuperD is lacking there. 250k pot or a little tone knob can work that if you want. Again - you want a JB for the highs. You want a SuperD because it doesn't pierce your eardrums going through a screaming Marshall 800.

All in all, I think the JB is a more flexible all around pickup than the SuperD. I really think that a SuperD is way more flexible than it gets credit for. But, If I'm going for lots of styles and situations, I'd go for a JB vs a SuperD. For what you say you want to play, I think the SuperD is a better deal. You could do that all with a JB, and you might find it just as "good" but it would be very different. I agree - you don't need to swap pickups - you need another guitar!

Go get one of those $179 Kramers in candy blue/purple/white and put a JB in it.
                Last edited by Aceman; 06-10-2021, 06:10 AM.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Keep in mind, there are other pickups (like the Custom) that might be right for what you need it for. The JB is really the ultimate hard rock pickup. It has been used for metal, but these days, there are more specialized metal pickups.
                  Yeah, I know there are pickups that are specifically designed for the most extreme genres. I just wanted to know if the JB was sort of a better deal than the Super D, but after reading all replies, now I know I was not wrong at all. Talking about the Custom, I checked it out but it didnīt really convince me, not saying it's a bad pup, it's just I didnīt make THAT connection with it.

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                  I say, if the Super D is working well for you, then let it be.

I'm a big JB fan, but it's not a magic bullet pickup that suddenly makes every guitar awesome. It can sound killer in one guitar and then lame in the next.

The JB and Super D have a lot of overlap when it comes to rock and metal capabilities. They go about things in slightly different ways, but which is better depends largely on the player, the particular guitar, and the rig being used.
                  Totally makes sense, if itīs not broken, why bother fixing it? I'm really happy with the Super D, but I'm aware of its deficiencies in certain contexts. To solve this, the guitar's got a PG neck, a clearer and lower output, yet middy pickup, which I tend to use for the cleaner stuff and for melodic leads... just a killer pickup!!! (Similar to the case of the Super D, I feel curious about how a 59, a Jazz, or even an Alnico II Pro would sound on my axe tbh).

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

All in all, I think the JB is a more flexible all around pickup than the SuperD. I really think that a SuperD is way more flexible than it gets credit for. But, If I'm going for lots of styles and situations, I'd go for a JB vs a SuperD. For what you say you want to play, I think the SuperD is a better deal. You could do that all with a JB, and you might find it just as "good" but it would be very different. I agree - you don't need to swap pickups - you need another guitar!

Go get one of those $179 Kramers in candy blue/purple/white and put a JB in it.
                  I'd certaintly do so if I had the money, lol. Besides, Iīm now looking for a hardtail guitar (Les Paul or SG style, preferably) that can handle lower tunings pretty well and produce a balanced tone for heavier metal (Carcass, SOAD, Disturbed and Korn are my main references). In the meantime, I'll stick to my Super D. I forgot to mention that I got a Fender strat with a 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge, and it handles almost ANYTHING pretty well.

Comment

Dimarzio sucks

Listen to rust in peace for JB magic

Comment

I've never tried a jb but i would just like to add my 2cents about the super dist. I absolutely love it. The super dist bridge paired with the air norton is my fav combo of all of my guitars for shred.

Comment

This is generalizing for sure but IMO,,,,,,

Maple neck +

Basswood body; Super D
                        Alder/Ash; JB
                        Mahogany; Either

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                          Dimarzio sucks

Listen to rust in peace for JB magic
                          That absolutely tells me nothing. Although I love the Rust in Peace tone, it's not my fav.

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                          I've never tried a jb but i would just like to add my 2cents about the super dist. I absolutely love it. The super dist bridge paired with the air norton is my fav combo of all of my guitars for shred.
                          Yeah! Super D rocks!!! Have you ever tried the LiquiFire neck?

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                          This is generalizing for sure but IMO,,,,,,

Maple neck +

Basswood body; Super D
                          Alder/Ash; JB
                          Mahogany; Either
                          I'll have to agree with you, it's a good rule of thumb. Nevertheless, I listened to some basswood models with JB/Jazz combo and what a sweet sound!!

Comment

I’ll give you my thoughts on the JB in 2 different guitars, because you should give it a try. But if you like the Super D in this guitar, stick with it.

I have an old 80s JB in my Les Paul and a new JB trembucker in a Superstrat build. I agree with your assessment that it is versatile and with Mincer’s that it is a great hard rock pickup. Split, the JB is special. It does heavy single coil tones as well as anything I’ve ever heard. Unsplit, it is everything from 70s ZZ Top to hair metal. I prefer other pickups for classic rock, but this one just covers so much ground.

Others will do one or the other better to some degree, but not to the degree I’m willing to move in from the JB. To me, it is a near perfect rock pickup. It truly does it all.
                            Last edited by David Garner; 06-14-2021, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FerMetalhead1 View Post

Yeah! Super D rocks!!! Have you ever tried the LiquiFire neck?
                              no i have not. A good friend of mine owns one, though. He told me it is not as round sounding as the air norton. I own a super2 in the neck of one of my rg's. Really don't like it as much as the air norton.
                              Last edited by Open lane; 06-14-2021, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X