Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation for a Mockingbird

Hi to all,

I have one of the new Mockingbirds, Maple neck-through, Nyatoh body, ebony fingerboard, Floyd Rose, coil splits, phase switch and 5 position varitone. Gibson scale.
    It comes stock with DiMarzio D-activators. After a year with the guitar, I think I would rather change the pickups. The D-Activators are good enough for very processed signals, like lots of distortion and effects like modulation... but in any other circumstance they lack character to my ears. They sound kind of flat, dull and unespiring, or whatever you call it, I think you get my point.

So I am looking for something to replace them that has more character. I want to keep this guitar as somewhat versatile, but also to be my most heavy oriented guitar. I play mostly Hard Rock and classic Heavy Metal with it. I wonīt be going into anything djenty, modern metal or ultra-low tunning with it. I will never go past-Pantera territory and is even unlikely I will be in Pantera-land often. I would stay more in 80s early 90s kind of stuff.
    I would like this guitar to be the one to use for palm muted stuff, where the palm mutes can sound powerfull. But also to have character when playing 80s or 90s.

I am open to recommendations, doesnīt need to be just Seymour Duncan, but anything you think could fit this purpose.

In other guitars I have tried JB and a Custom Custom on a 25 inch scale poplar neck through years ago and I have the Distortion set on a bolt'on Charvel 25.5 inch scale.
    JB lacked a bit low end, but I remember having nice character overall. The Custom Custom had the bottom end the JB lacked but I recall it as lacking a bit of cahracter. The Distortion was a bit too much of everything for me at the start, but I ended up adjusting to it and liking it... but as I said in different guitars...

Thanks!

Immediate thought is a 59/Custom hybrid and a 59 or PG in the neck.

DiMarzios I’d go Airzond bridge and Norton or PAF neck
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The classic B.C. Rich combo back in the day was a DiMarzio PAF in the neck and Super Distortion in the bridge. They can be bright and almost Stratty in a maple neck-thru, but it's a cool sound regardless.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Immediate thought is a 59/Custom hybrid and a 59 or PG in the neck.

DiMarzios I’d go Airzond bridge and Norton or PAF neck
        I like the Hybrid in the bridge of a neck-thru Mockingbird for a versatile tone. I might opt for something a little warmer in the neck, like an Alnico II Pro because of all the maple.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions. I hadnīt think on the Hybrid but it is a great suggestion, indeed. I had that pickup in a LP in the past and I loved it -I parted ways with that guitar a few years ago, though-.
          I think I will go for it, I have a great memory of it. Somehow I had forgotten about it, but, yeah it should be perfect here.

For the neck, as it happens I have a Alnico II pro set lying around, so is going to be easy to just try that!

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Perry go round View Post
            Thanks for your suggestions. I hadnīt think on the Hybrid but it is a great suggestion, indeed. I had that pickup in a LP in the past and I loved it -I parted ways with that guitar a few years ago, though-.
            I think I will go for it, I have a great memory of it. Somehow I had forgotten about it, but, yeah it should be perfect here.

For the neck, as it happens I have a Alnico II pro set lying around, so is going to be easy to just try that!

Thanks again!
            Awesome! Let us know how this project turns out!
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hybrid is a great rec for this guitar IMO. Or a standard ceramic Custom since you're leaning towards the heavy side.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

That looks like a cool guitar, what do you think so far?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I put Fralin Metal SHO pickups in my Mockingbird I love them.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...alin-metal-sho

Comment

Working...
                  X