banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to buy "SD Trembucker cover" specifically?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have to buy "SD Trembucker cover" specifically?

I'm wanting a raw/unplated nickel cover for my Custom 5 trembucker; I bought one before from the SD Custom Shop, but I emailed them recently and they said that they are out of stock and don't know when they'll get them back. I know that trembuckers have a 52.6mm spacing, but I've also read that the trembucker bobbins are wider than other f-spaced humbuckers. Will any other brand/source of covers fit a trembucker?

i dont know of any direct fit covers but that doesnt mean they arent out there

Comment

I got this chrome one from Mojotone, and it fits my JB Trembucker perfectly. You'll have to look to see if they have unplated.

DetailsMade in the USA. Nickel silver material covers. These are not made out of brass like many economy covers. Available in Chrome, Nickel, or Gold plating. 53mm(2.09") Pole piece spacing. To determine your spacing measure center to center of your 2 outside pole pieces. NOTE* Raw nickel silver covers will have small scratches and sharp edges because they have absolutely no plating.

Comment

Here: https://www.mojotone.com/Humbucker-P...over-Bare-53mm

Comment

Awesome, thanks! I'll have to give that a shot

Comment

So I got my Mojotone cover today... and it doesn't fit.

Not wide enough. The sides bulge out, and it takes lots of force to get the the bobbins flush to the cover, and as soon as I let go the pickup pops back out.

I guess I'll have to hope that the Custom Shop gets them back in stock at some point.

Comment

Have you tried these folks? Might be worth a look.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Dang man. I'm sorry. I led you that direction. My Mojo cover fits my Trembucker JB perfectly. But it's about five years old. Who knows if they use the same suppliers all this time. If you want this cover, it's yours. You'd just have to scuff it up a bit to make it "raw." I'll never use it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mojo_cover.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	6090582

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                  Have you tried these folks? Might be worth a look.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/humbucker/
                  Thanks I looked there, but I found a blog post about pole spacing that says none of their covers fit a trembucker

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Dang man. I'm sorry. I led you that direction. My Mojo cover fits my Trembucker JB perfectly. But it's about five years old. Who knows if they use the same suppliers all this time. If you want this cover, it's yours. You'd just have to scuff it up a bit to make it "raw." I'll never use it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mojo_cover.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	6090582
                    No worries! Yeah suppliers and dimensions etc are bound to change over time. At least it was a cheap mistake.

Thanks for the generous offer, but I think I'll just live with the uncovered pickup until I can get a cover from the Custom Shop

Comment

So I contacted the Custom Shop again and this time the rep told me that they don't sell the unplated trembucker covers and that I could probably get one from Stew Mac...

a.) I've literally bought one from them before and b.) He should probably know that aftermarket covers don't fit trembuckers (also Stew Mac doesn't sell unplated covers, I checked)

Lol I never imagined it could be this complicated to buy a pickup cover... I guess I should have kept the old one, but I sold it with the pickup that I had put it on
                      Last edited by ragamuffin; 06-24-2021, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I know it's a hack job, but if the covers should stay permanently... Measure how much you have to remove from the bobbins round ends to fit it into the mojotone cover. Check also the poles to fit properly by putting the cover upside down on the pickup.
                        I had to cut off and round corners on a P90 at one time. I used a smooth file.
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Only shaving down the bobbin might help but that's a bit of a risk.

That's, honestly, the main reason I stepped away from Seymour Duncan (trembucker in particular). No way, none whatsoever, to cover a pickup again other than with SD covers and those are super expensive.

Comment

If you manage to get it all the way in and the screws line up with the holes, hold them together with a c-clamp and solder them.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                              I know it's a hack job, but if the covers should stay permanently... Measure how much you have to remove from the bobbins round ends to fit it into the mojotone cover. Check also the poles to fit properly by putting the cover upside down on the pickup.
                              I had to cut off and round corners on a P90 at one time. I used a smooth file.
                              I thought about this but decided against it as the poles don't 100% line up, and I was afraid to damage the pickup.

I ended up ordering a shiny nickel trembucker cover and I'm going to try to sand it and possibly chemically treat it to look more like raw nickel.

Comment

Working...
                              X