PIO tone caps for antiquity JB jazz set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
    surely not worth the money they ask for pio caps.
    A few dollars?
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

A few dollars?
      https://www.crazyparts.de/electronic...hers/index.php

I got my set of K40Y straight from a electronic parts dealer in Russia 10 years ago. But now their price for guitar suited values have been multiplied. They are asking 20 Euros a piece and you only get the bigger 630 volts and more ones.
      Last edited by hamerfan; 07-31-2021, 09:59 AM.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Well that's a rip. I get mine for a few dollars on ebay.
        I bought them for you

Comment

I'd say it depends on what you want from the neck tone knob and how you use it.

If you don't need super dark & want the full range of the knob to be useful, .022uF or .015uF occupy the middle ground.
          If you only want to roll off the highest highs and smooth things out, a very low value cap is the ticket (IME more useful on bridge hums).
          If you just want a fairly warm tone and only use the upper range of the knob, .047 has long been the accepted standard with humbuckers.
          And if you want to be able to tweak your tone with a small twist - or sometimes to go really dark - 0.1uF can do that for you.

I concur with others here that it's absolutely worth buying a few values and trying them out to see what works for you personally.
          Results vary for different guitars and different pickups. And not everybody's idea of dark is the same.

PS: IMO you shouldn't ever pay more than a few dollars for a capacitor unless you're restoring a vintage instrument.
          You can get perfectly effective ceramics for pennies apiece to experiment with, then get better types if you want.
          Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 07-31-2021, 10:49 PM.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'm getting Sprague vitamin Q PIO capacitors on ebay for $3 each. The seller 'calst' has them 5 for $14.99 various values. Just thought I'd let you guys know, that's cheaper than orange drops!
            It's funny how some stories became historic,
            especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

6.8nf is a really cool value. The lowest value that still gets bassy. It's a mix of bassy and light and creamy.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
              X