No announcement yet.

Help me find alternative to Antiquity Humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first thought is a 59, followed by a Whole Lotta Humbucker. But my guess is that a 59 will solve every issue you have.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

There's the issue.

Ditch the 50's wiring and you'll get a much more usable tone knob and a slight roll-off of highs when turning down the volume. This would solve your issues with brightness without needing new pickups.
      Thanks, I will consider this.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        Well if he wants a new pup let him get a new pup. The Ant is the thinnest and clankiest bridge hum I've tried.
        Clankiest - good word for it.

Comment

... but Angus Young and Jimmy Page obtain(ed) hefty tones from T-Tops or P.A.F.'s, not exactly beefier than an Ant' (which is supposed to clone a P..A.F., after all)... and Hendrix did the same with weak Fender SC's, way thinner and "clankier" than any HB. How is it?

Wiring schematics, magnets or pot resistance are certainly each a part of the answer and have already been evoked above.

Seems that another parameter to consider might be in what Bill Lawrence explained : http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Al...leandSound.htm

The third paragraph from the bottom is something to consider IMHO.

Taking all factors in account allows to do many things with passive PU's. It even avoids to appear as absurd to questions like this one: https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/th...rsion-strat-pu
          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

i agree with freefrog.
            more beef/thumb and less treble for ac/dc or led zep?
            doesn’t sound right, considering they both used t-tops at one point
            i personally had always the opposite problem with my guitars to really nail an authentic ac/dc sound.
            too much lowend and lil treble…
            Last edited by ToneFiddler; 07-29-2021, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stavrose View Post

Clankiest - good word for it.
              I think it depends on the guitar. I have Antiquities in an ES335-alike, and it doesn't have that sound.

Comment

the aged magnet makes a big difference, a full strength a2 sounds much bolder but still might not be enough for you

Comment

Thanks for all the comments! Very helpful and it’s made me think about some options.

Comment

Originally posted by Stavrose View Post

50’s wiring. Recently changed the bridge vol to a 250k pot and swapped that cap from a .22 to a .47. Made a bit of a difference but not huge. I need to roll down the guitar tone knob to around 5 or lower (depending on amp settings and which od pedal i^m using) to control the brightness.
                    If you've already done these moves away from brightness, have you considered the fact that maybe a vintage style PAF pup is not the right tool for you? Something fatter and darker, maybe like a CC

Comment

Pearly Gates
                      2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                      2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                      2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                        Pearly Gates
                        If an Antiquity is shrill, a PG is gonna be terrible. I'd go with an Alnico II Pro...completely different EQ, but similar 'feel'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

If an Antiquity is shrill, a PG is gonna be terrible. I'd go with an Alnico II Pro...completely different EQ, but similar 'feel'.
                          I own both, and have had both in the same Les Paul. Stock, the PG has more bottom end. I will also say that based on my experience with the 59, 59A2, Ant and PG that the PG handles high gain better than any other Duncan PAF style pickup that I have personally played. I also own a set of Lollars and a set of BKP Mules.

With all of that said, I would bet that with some height adjustment the Ant could be made to achieve the desired tone. Personally, I start with my bridge at 3/32 on both sides and then adjust the low E side until I get the punch I want. Then I adjust the high e side lower until I can play a cowboy G chord and the strings balance, and nothing pokes me in the ear.

This is my Ant set...through my Splawn

The Slash set also works very well when you want a different flavor of low output tone. YMMV.

Slash Set through Marshall 1987 Plexi

2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
                          2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
                          2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

IME, the PG has a relatively high Q factor (a narrow pointy resonant peak) reminding a bit a single coil. If this resonance is in the ice pick region, yes, the PG will most likely sound thin and piercing. But once its resonance dragged down by stray capacitance in the high mids, it becomes an advantage to cut the mix with a nice voicing.

To put it in simpler words: if a PG sounds too thin and bright through 3m of cable, just plug it through 6m or 9m of the same cable (without buffer in between). It will still sound present but more buttery and warm.

Of course, an even simpler solution would be to pair the PG to a small cap between hot and ground (emulating the capacitance of an imaginary wire), as recommended by the Duncan FAQ's back in the days. Something like a 470pF to 1nF (1000pF) capacitor should work fine. Seymour did recommend 2,2nF, 3,3nF or 4,7nF in his old FAQ's (answer 291) but it's already a bit high : 2,2nF = 15 to 20m of cable.

This tech rambling doesn't make indifferent the acoustic resonance of guitars, the resistance of pots and so on. I'm just focusing on a parameter often forgotten, albeit it can be tonally useful with something like a PG (and with any P.A.F. or clone).

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Custom 5. Def not shrill with some junk in the trunk. I certainly second the advice on staying away from a PG if you found the Ant to be shrill.
                              The more gear you buy, and the more often you buy the gear, the less often the music is made.

Comment

The Custom 5 is too high of an output, and the EQ is all wrong for this application. There is too much compression going on, so it doesn't really 'feel' the same.

Comment

Working...
                                X