Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find alternative to Antiquity Humbucker

Hey all,

I'm really struggling with a decision. I have an open (zebra) SD Antiquity humbucker in the bridge of my les paul and I'm not happy with it for the following reasons:

1. The low end is limited - no power, no thump, and a bit mushy
    2. The treble is too shrill - I think my les paul is quite bright which probably doesn't help

I want to replace it with an alternative humbucker, but I don't know which one.

Here is my criteria in a nutshell:

1. It needs to have more prominent and stronger low end than the Ant
    2. It needs to be less shrill in the highs than the Ant
    3. It needs to get me close to the tone of ACDC and Led Zep (not necessarily exact but close)
    4. It needs to be potted and available in open zebra.

What would you go for and why?

Thanks!
    Stavs

That sounds like Whole Lotta Humbucker.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I'd recommend some options but A5 pickups arent gonna be any less bright.

A '59 or a whole lotta humbucker will have better low end. That part of the EQ problem is easy to fix.

Taming the high end while improving the low end is the tricky side of it.

If your guitar is too bright with a stock Antiquity then the '59 & WLH probably wont help that issue.
      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I like the '59 a lot for Led Zeppelin tones. I generally prefer single coils, so all 'buckers sound a little tubby to me . . . but the the '59 is not a dark pickup though. How much are you using your tone controls on the guitar? Is it '50s wiring, or a regular tone control setup?
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

A double thick A2 will beef up the Ant. A 59 would probably also work, it's a burlier wind than the Ant. You could mag swap it if needed.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
            How much are you using your tone controls on the guitar? Is it '50s wiring, or a regular tone control setup?
            50’s wiring. Recently changed the bridge vol to a 250k pot and swapped that cap from a .22 to a .47. Made a bit of a difference but not huge. I need to roll down the guitar tone knob to around 5 or lower (depending on amp settings and which od pedal i^m using) to control the brightness.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              A double thick A2 will beef up the Ant. A 59 would probably also work, it's a burlier wind than the Ant. You could mag swap it if needed.
              I think I’m ready for a change of pickup as opposed to mag swaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Stavrose View Post

50’s wiring. Recently changed the bridge vol to a 250k pot and swapped that cap from a .22 to a .47. Made a bit of a difference but not huge. I need to roll down the guitar tone knob to around 5 or lower (depending on amp settings and which od pedal i^m using) to control the brightness.
                There's the issue.

Ditch the 50's wiring and you'll get a much more usable tone knob and a slight roll-off of highs when turning down the volume. This would solve your issues with brightness without needing new pickups.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

250K tone pot might help a bit also, especially with that .047 cap.

Certain Les Pauls really are super bright. One of mine is that way; its stock BB2 at the bridge sounded amazingly harsh.

Was intending to suggest an A6 magnet in the Ant, but I see you're leaning toward replacing it outright.

IME vintage-output Duncans tend to lean towards bright sparkly highs; in most cases that's a big plus.

You might consider the RioGrande BBQ. Rich & fat sounding, and heavily potted - excess treble isn't likely to be an issue.
                  There's still plenty of upper-midrange sizzle to stand well in a mix and they sustain beautifully. Big, chunky lows too.
                  A fairly muscular pickup, I'd call it vintage-plus output. Hotter than PAF, not as beefy as a Duncan Custom.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I think I’m ready for a change of pickup as opposed to mag swaps.
                    I've got a bridge pickup in my epi LP that I had the custom shop wind for me. It's got an A5 brightness on the high end, the rest of the pickup is just how I ordered it.

it requires me to pick much closer to the neck at times.

One pickup I've heard forum guys mention having a "dark" top end is the Duncan brobucker. It will nail the ACDC really well. Check that one out.
                    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Your issues are probably the 'aged' A2. Some members solve that by simply putting in a fully charged A2.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If you don't mind it looking a bit weird and not being available in zebra, I'd say that a PATB-3 would fit the bill perfectly.
                        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Well if he wants a new pup let him get a new pup. The Ant is the thinnest and clankiest bridge hum I've tried.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Options that might work IMO

Custom Custom
                            Slash bridge
                            Bare Knuckle Black Dog
                            Whole Lotta Humbucker

Comment

Hey all,

I'm really struggling with a decision. I have an open (zebra) SD Antiquity humbucker in the bridge of my les paul and I'm not happy with it for the following reasons:

1. The low end is limited - no power, no thump, and a bit mushy
                              2. The treble is too shrill - I think my les paul is quite bright which probably doesn't help

I want to replace it with an alternative humbucker, but I don't know which one.

Here is my criteria in a nutshell:

1. It needs to have more prominent and stronger low end than the Ant
                              2. It needs to be less shrill in the highs than the Ant
                              3. It needs to get me close to the tone of ACDC and Led Zep (not necessarily exact but close)
                              4. It needs to be potted and available in open zebra.

What would you go for and why?

Thanks!
                              Stavs

Some Les Paul's can be super bright. Mine is and it has covered pickups. If I uncovered them it would rip my teeth out. I love it. I don't know how Gibson do it with a mahogany body and rosewood fretboard.

I'd try an overwound A2 like the 78. If that's too much beef try a Slash.

Comment

Working...
                              X