No announcement yet.

Help me find alternative to Antiquity Humbucker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no problem getting Led Zep or AC/DC tones from Ants in my Edwards LP, and I would certainly never describe it as shrill. I suspect something else is going on in your wiring or amp/pedals. I too have a bright LP though, so I do understand how seemingly good pickups can just sound wrong, but a PAF type pickup with an A2 magnet should never be shrill.

All that aside, WLHs are a good suggestion. They're a little more modern flavor PAF that worked well in my bright LP.

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post

I own both, and have had both in the same Les Paul. Stock, the PG has more bottom end. I will also say that based on my experience with the 59, 59A2, Ant and PG that the PG handles high gain better than any other Duncan PAF style pickup that I have personally played. I also own a set of Lollars and a set of BKP Mules.

With all of that said, I would bet that with some height adjustment the Ant could be made to achieve the desired tone. Personally, I start with my bridge at 3/32 on both sides and then adjust the low E side until I get the punch I want. Then I adjust the high e side lower until I can play a cowboy G chord and the strings balance, and nothing pokes me in the ear.

This is my Ant set...through my Splawn

The Slash set also works very well when you want a different flavor of low output tone. YMMV.

Slash Set through Marshall 1987 Plexi

You look and play like you could be Mark Tremonti's cousin. Thanks for sharing!
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

You look and play like you could be Mark Tremonti's cousin. Thanks for sharing!
        lol! I got a good chuckle out of that one. Now if I could only play like Mark.
        Last edited by SFW; 08-04-2021, 06:45 AM.
        2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
        2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
        2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

My new favorite pickups are Brandonwound. Check his site and talk to him. he'll get you sorted.

Comment

Working...
          X