banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom 5 with tighter bottom end

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Have you tried simply lowering the pickups?

    Comment


    • #17
      grimm26 : It was the same with me, but the Custom is the most versatile pickup as well. I swapped any mag and hex screws in it.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

      Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

      Comment


      • #18
        One pickup you might want to look at is the Dimarzio Gravity Storm bridge. Tight and huge sounding it's pretty unique. I really like the thick open tones I get with the Custom 5 for some things. However the scooped mids and looser bottom don't work for me in a full band situation and how I play. The Gravity storm has that big expressive open tone but is tighter and really cuts in the mids. Really cool unique pickup.
         
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          The SNS sounds very similar to the scoopy jazz/custom wind. If you put an A5 in one, you would have something very similar to a lower wound Custom 5 imo.
          i dont agree with that. the bridge sns sounds nothing like a c5 to me

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by grimm26 View Post

            Really? So the ends of the screws aren't as close to the magnet or something? What's the idea behind this?
            The ends of the screws would be closer to flush with the baseplate. It’s supposed to change the inductance and (perhaps) tighten the magnetic field a bit. The grade of steel will also make a difference, but Seymour Duncan are pretty tight lipped about what they use. I tried replacing the polepieces on a muddy set of Gibson P90s, as well as a PRS humbucker. It did make a difference, but perhaps not “night and day”. It might be worth trying on the wound strings in your case.
            Last edited by skelt101; 07-31-2021, 10:44 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i dont agree with that. the bridge sns sounds nothing like a c5 to me
              I mag swapped it and it sounds similar to just the scooped jazz and custom winds. Probably not necessarily the exact same thing but it doesn't have anything different going on like the metal pickups. It sounds like just a scooped PAFish wind like the Custom to me.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

              Comment


              • #22
                Coupla thoughts on this.

                option A: hex screws in this pickup - slightly tighter lows
                option B: A4 magnet in this pickup - less low end, less scoop
                option C: Perpetual Burn - a bit less output, a little less scooped, tighter all around. Still A5 character.

                @Clint55's idea of A5 in the SNS bridge seems like it could be a good fit here too IMO.
                .
                "My hovercraft is full of eels."

                .

                Comment


                • #23
                  Ceramic swap (polished if possible). Easy as 123.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by grimm26 View Post

                    That crossed my mind. I know I've had a Custom Custom in the past and did not like it, but I don't think I've had a Custom. I'll keep an eye out for a used one.

                    BMT...

                    C5 EQ = 6 / 2 / 7
                    CC EQ = 5 / 8 / 6 Mega-mids with loose bass
                    Custom EQ = 7 / 5 / 8 and crisp and tight

                    According to my ears...opinions may vary
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      You've tried cutting bass frequencies? Amp EQ, pedal before the amp, something in the effects loop... you say EQ is "too easy", not sure if it's tongue-in-cheek but cutting bass frequencies sure is a great way to reduce a boomy bottom end.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                      http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                        One pickup you might want to look at is the Dimarzio Gravity Storm bridge. Tight and huge sounding it's pretty unique. I really like the thick open tones I get with the Custom 5 for some things. However the scooped mids and looser bottom don't work for me in a full band situation and how I play. The Gravity storm has that big expressive open tone but is tighter and really cuts in the mids. Really cool unique pickup.
                        According to the specs on dimarzio's site, that pickup is all mids and bass. Not what I am looking for.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                          You've tried cutting bass frequencies? Amp EQ, pedal before the amp, something in the effects loop... you say EQ is "too easy", not sure if it's tongue-in-cheek but cutting bass frequencies sure is a great way to reduce a boomy bottom end.
                          I meant EQ doesn't give me an excuse to buy something new . But yeah, tightening the bass response on the amp or a separate EQ can help.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            how about a series cap / demud mod!
                            you can buy something NEW !!!
                            a cap for 10 cent!

                            http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/ti...ng-neck-pickup

                            if it‘s too small of a change, use a smaller cap value.
                            never done this on a bridge pickup myself though

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                              how about a series cap / demud mod!
                              you can buy something NEW !!!
                              a cap for 10 cent!

                              http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/ti...ng-neck-pickup

                              if it‘s too small of a change, use a smaller cap value.
                              never done this on a bridge pickup myself though
                              Yeah! Why wouldn't this work on a bridge pickup as well?

                              Get yourself a variety of different valued caps and start soldering
                              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I just put an oversized/double-thick ceramic in my Custom and, oh boy, it’s way better to me!

                                Mids boosted across the spectrum (actually sounds full now, whereas I thought it was kinda hollow before).

                                Bass is bigger yet tight.

                                Treble is still present and discernible, but no longer piercing like I thought it was before.

                                Think Custom8 with tighter bass and little more balls.

                                Yet despite the increase across the board, still has that PAF vibe, especially when you roll off the volume —
                                and if you have 50’s wiring like me, it will nail vintage stuff.


                                full blast it’s a big wall of sound.
                                I’m gonna try to record something through my stereo rig, which by itself sounds massive. If that pans out I’ll post it here.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X