Custom 5 with tighter bottom end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 5 with tighter bottom end

The Custom 5 is my bridge pickup of choice, but sometimes I wish it had tighter bottom cuz it can boom quite a bit when chugging with some tones. Aside from maybe lowering it or just adjusting eq - too easy! - is there another SD that is close to a Custom 5 but less bass?

Thanks!

Look at the Pegasus. I think that would be a solid plan b option with the Duncan inventory.
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Full Shred
      2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
      2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
      2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Comment

The SNS sounds very similar to the scoopy jazz/custom wind. If you put an A5 in one, you would have something very similar to a lower wound Custom 5 imo.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

The Custom has no less bass, but you may find it tighter due to Ceramic mag.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Full Shred should do the trick. About the same wind but with the hex-screws.

Comment

Originally posted by grimm26 View Post
              The Custom 5 is my bridge pickup of choice, but sometimes I wish it had tighter bottom cuz it can boom quite a bit when chugging with some tones. Aside from maybe lowering it or just adjusting eq - too easy! - is there another SD that is close to a Custom 5 but less bass?

Thanks!
              You might just try installing a set of short polepieces:
              Specs Set of 6 vintage spec USA made 5-40 x 1/2" Fillister Head screws. Nickel plated. 1022 Steel.(Thread is 1/2" long - total length of screw is 5/8")

Comment

I own a full shred set.

the full shred set is bright if you use the same settings as regular humbuckers. It changes significantly when you bump up the bass on your Amp to compensate. It takes on a fat midrangy, detailed sound. To my ears anyway. I don't think this will work in your case.

Perhaps try some hex poles under the wound strings?

Dimarzio makes the Steve's special which is another mid scooped pickup. It may be tighter?

Comment

I'd agree with the Pegasus and even the Omega might get you what you want. The C5's scooped sound is pretty unique, so it is difficult with direct comparisons.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by gsammo79 View Post
                    Look at the Pegasus. I think that would be a solid plan b option with the Duncan inventory.
                    I have a guitar with a pegasus in the bridge, and it is like it is too narrowly focused and has a mid spike that the Custom 5 doesn't have. That said, I have kept it because it is useful for some stuff that I play.

Comment

Originally posted by SFW View Post
                      Full Shred
                      The Full Shred and the JB are pretty much my least fave SD pickups

Comment

Originally posted by skelt101 View Post
                        You might just try installing a set of short polepieces:
                        https://www.mojotone.com/Short-Humbu...epieces-Nickel
                        Really? So the ends of the screws aren't as close to the magnet or something? What's the idea behind this?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          The Custom has no less bass, but you may find it tighter due to Ceramic mag.
                          That crossed my mind. I know I've had a Custom Custom in the past and did not like it, but I don't think I've had a Custom. I'll keep an eye out for a used one.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            The SNS sounds very similar to the scoopy jazz/custom wind. If you put an A5 in one, you would have something very similar to a lower wound Custom 5 imo.
                            Now that's an idea. I have wanted to try an AlNiCo 4 pickup anyway. Hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by grimm26 View Post

I have a guitar with a pegasus in the bridge, and it is like it is too narrowly focused and has a mid spike that the Custom 5 doesn't have. That said, I have kept it because it is useful for some stuff that I play.
                              I hear that in the Pegasus too. You might consider the custom shop if you're not finding another Duncan pup that fits what you're wanting
                              Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Working...
                              X