Mag mic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mag mic

Got a D28 a few months ago, sounds amazing but no electronics in it to amplify. Looking at the Mag Mic. Is it good with Martin dreadnoughts? And what is the mic blend like?

Primarily I am using it for live stream purposes or recording live videos with another guitarist and speaker playback so a good pickup sound is important. Sometimes for recording and on streams I will wear headphones so can use a condenser mic but not all the time. Also more convenient to plug straight into my mixer.

I don't want an electric guitar metallic sounding pickup, but I don't think the Mag Mic would be like that for the money. Or should I go with an LR Baggs M1 active?

I've used the Mag Mic on a Martin before, and I liked the sound. It was going through a PA, though, not for recording, but I think it should be a good alternative to carrying a condenser mic out. I would have no issues with recommending it.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ok do you remember what type of Martin it was? E.g a dreadnought or an OM etc. Just wondering how much mic I can get away with blending in before feedback issues.

May just get one anyway as a spare/backup as it looks like a very good pickup.

Comment

It was a Dred. I would just blend in as much mic until there was feedback, then back it off. But this was for performance through a PA.

Comment

Oh ok. One use would be through a home PA type system thing, so I think I could probably use a little bit of mic til it starts getting noisy. If not the 100% pickup sound is useable for sure. Kinda want something plug in and play without the need for additional preamps or EQ pedals etc.

For live streams its not an issue as I wear in-ears so can either go 100% mic or just use a condenser mic (space permitting).

Comment

I think it would work just fine for what you want. If you do get one, let me know how it turns out.

Comment

Yeah I'm hoping someone else will chime in too with their experiences with one lol. A few others on here must have used/own one too.

The Mag Mic would be easier for me to source cos plenty of UK retailers sell it, whereas 2 other ones I'm looking at are from the US and Switzerland meaning 2 weeks shipping time and handling taxes etc.

Comment

Mine is not in a Martin, but a Fender, Spruce top, Rosewood back and sides dreadnought. It saw the most use in a Contemporary Worship band.

The stage was large, I ran into a DI box and I could bring the mic volume up to 7 or 8 before it would start wanting to feedback. I usually only needed around 5 on the mic. It truly does live up to it's reputation for capturing your guitar's tone, between the stack and the mic. It should sound great in your D-28.
                I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

That's cool, and sounds like a fair bit of mic can be used before any feedback issues. 5 would be enough to notice the difference I would think, enough air in the tone.

Is the cable that plugs into the pickup detachable? Ideally I'd want to leave the pickup screwed in then if I play unplugged just remove the cable, but then again it may block any air from the soundhole and affect the tone?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadandBuried View Post

Is the cable that plugs into the pickup detachable? Ideally I'd want to leave the pickup screwed in then if I play unplugged just remove the cable, but then again it may block any air from the soundhole and affect the tone?
                    This I do not know for certain. I had mine permanently installed when I purchased it. The product page notes it can pop in and out, but mentions a special built-in strain relief loop for the jack. So I am assuming the cable does not detach.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Hmm ok, maybe I'd just have to unscrew it when not in use then, just don't want to damage the screws as it might be a weekly thing, I teach guitar and usually play unplugged if they're in-person lessons, if they're online then I'd want to use the pickup.

Comment

I took a look at the installation instructions and for temporary installation it does not note being able to remove the cable. I would expect this to be noted if it is detachable. They do show the strain relief looping over the end pin and the cable hanging down.

Comment

Hmm ok, maybe I'd just have to unscrew it when not in use then, just don't want to damage the screws as it might be a weekly thing, I teach guitar and usually play unplugged if they're in-person lessons, if they're online then I'd want to use the pickup.
                          I will recommend reading thru the Installation Guide, if you have not already done so. I knew I wanted a permanent installation, but if I had gone with temporary I might have opted to use the 12V battery on the back of the pickup itself.

Comment

The bluegrass guys all use K&K pickups and a Grace something preamp, which results in the most real sounding plugged in acoustic tones I’ve heard.

Kind of a different approach, but I’ve also seen them use a little Shure clip on mic (ATM350?) which also sounds pretty good. Much better than your average plugged in acoustic rock guitarist.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post

I will recommend reading thru the Installation Guide, if you have not already done so. I knew I wanted a permanent installation, but if I had gone with temporary I might have opted to use the 12V battery on the back of the pickup itself.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-con...structions.pdf
                              Ok thanks for looking, I am going to take my time with it anyway as I'm still researching options. I could easily have ordered it today and it'd be here tomorrow but there's a couple of other brands I'm interested in which will take longer to arrive.

Comment

Working...
                              X